Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Pinnacle to the Pit
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may have seen, I recently picked up a PRS SE Custom 24.

I'm very happy with the guitar, playability-wise. And was content with the stock pickups until I tried playing in a dropped tuning. Even something as simple as Drop-D failed to impress me within a metal setting. It was just wayyy to warm/bassy and not enough articulation for my liking.

So, first off, I'm looking for pickup suggestions. For both the neck and the bridge.

My original thought was either another Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon for the bridge (recently installed in a poplar bodied Vandenberg and loved it but I wasn't sure how it would fair in the PRS.) And a Seymour Duncan Jazz for the neck.

Or if I go with Dimarzio, I thought about the Petrucci set.

Anything priced like BKP's or the PRS pickups are way out of my price range.

Another question is about the nut. I saw on PRS's website that they offer this: String Nuts (Set of 2) by PRS Guitars | PRS Accessories

I think the factory nut on the SE is probably plastic, and is likely a far cry from the one in the link. But would it be worth it to upgrade the nut? I've only ever upgraded the nut on an acoustic, never an electric.

Any other suggestions you can throw my way, feel free.

I've already got a set of locking tuners on the way that are a gift from a friend :yesway:

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
SD Jazz in the neck will likely work fantastically. It's the perfect pickup for perking up a warm guitar, and just a fantastic pickup all around. I'd recommend one of the following for the bridge:

1) SD JB
2) SD Custom
3) SD Pearly Gates

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'd recommend a Suhr Aldrich for the bridge if you want kind of a snarly, upper-mid focused sound with plenty of clarity and articulation, or else a Duncan Custom if you want a grindy, lower-midrange focused sound with enough top end to keep things clear.

Reactions: LWKeeping

·
Parental Advisory
288 Posts
The stock SE pickups are pretty mushy with gain. I went for SD JB/Jazz in my SE245, although the Custom or Custom Custom would work as well - the Custom Custom is what Myles Kennedy uses in his SC245s, iirc.

The nut's worth swapping, the stock ones are hollow and cut for 9s, so anything larger sticks way too much. I got the USA PRS one and it's more of an upgrade in feel and tuning stability than it is on tone.

·
Pinnacle to the Pit
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I'll do some research on those pickups and see what I come up with.

Though, I can already say the Aldrich is likely out of my price range unless one comes up used on eBay or something.

I just really didn't want to spend the money on parts that would end up sounding lousy or be unnecessary upgrades for this particular guitar.

The nut's worth swapping, the stock ones are hollow and cut for 9s, so anything larger sticks way too much. I got the USA PRS one and it's more of an upgrade in feel and tuning stability than it is on tone.
Well, as far as upgrading it for tuning stability, I should be alright with just the locking tuners, right? It feels fine to me as is, so that's not a problem.

If/when I upgrade the string gauge (It won't be for a while because I received a butt-ton of Elixir 9's for Christmas.) I'll go ahead and replace that.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Did you re-eq your amp for this guitar?

I replaced the nut, tuners and pickups in mu se24 when i had it. Cant find the bridge pickup since the move :lol:.

Really, drop in anything that works in mahogany in the bridge.

·
Pinnacle to the Pit
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wirelessly posted

I replaced the nut, tuners and pickups in mu se24 when i had it. Cant find the bridge pickup since the move :lol:.

I'm mainly playing through a GSP1101 with either headphones or monitors.
No amp currently.

But I tried practically every preset and all sounded fine with my other guitars that are in lower tunings, but this one is just way too muddled and the distinction between notes is crap.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I actually really like the stock neck pickup on my PRS SE, so while I'll eventually put a Jazz in it, I'm not in a huge hurry to change it. The Pearly Gates that is in the bridge now seems to work pretty well though.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Swapped my stock nut with a TUSQ, and put on an adjustable bridge from TonePros (make sure you get the metric/import version).

Pickups? Eh, the stocks actually aren't too bad. No real recommendation (other than P-Rails, of course… :lol:).

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

LWKeeping said:
Wirelessly posted

I'm mainly playing through a GSP1101 with either headphones or monitors.
No amp currently.

But I tried practically every preset and all sounded fine with my other guitars that are in lower tunings, but this one is just way too muddled and the distinction between notes is crap.
Trying every preset does not mean you eq'd for the guitar :lol:

·
Pinnacle to the Pit
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Wirelessly posted

Trying every preset does not mean you eq'd for the guitar :lol:
Considering that every preset has a different EQ, I'd assume at least one of them would sound worth a crap. None did.

Swapped my stock nut with a TUSQ, and put on an adjustable bridge from TonePros (make sure you get the metric/import version).

Pickups? Eh, the stocks actually aren't too bad. No real recommendation (other than P-Rails, of course… :lol:).
You're talking about something like this?

Mine has the PRS designed tremolo, not the wraparound bridge.

The stocks aren't that bad when I'm playing in standard. And maybe it's just me, but when I tune down, it just sounds terrible.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

It shouldnt really sound any different. Also, don't rely on presets - you need to tweak so that the patch fits the guitar, not the other way aroud.

·
Parental Advisory
288 Posts
The stocks aren't that bad when I'm playing in standard. And maybe it's just me, but when I tune down, it just sounds terrible.
Could just be that you need thicker strings for that tuning - I can manage D standard on a 24.75" scale with Dunlop Heavy Core 10s, but the unwound strings sound terrible, fine with 11s or 12s though.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
My PRS SE sounds great, even tuned down, but it's great in a midrange-y, dark, round hard rock sort of way, not a tight, articulate metal sort of way.

Maybe something like the Custom or Distortion would work? I don't think the Petrucci set would necessarily be voiced right for a shorter scale mahogany guitar...

Reactions: LWKeeping

·
Pinnacle to the Pit
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm keeping the guitar in standard tuning, but I will be going to drop-D for certain things so I'm not really concerned with thicker string gauge at the moment.

I think I've settled on getting a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB for the bridge and eventually getting a Jazz for the neck.

Has anyone ever tried this on their trem?: Goeldo Goldo Backbox Tremolo Stabilizer | eBay

It's similar to the Hipshot Tremsetter. I thought about getting the Tremsetter, but after watching this video on YouTube, I found I have to drill a lot more than I wanted to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a SE245 and a SE Akesson.

Tried the following pickups in both guitars. My thoughts (in these guitars):

JB- perfect, sounds good doing anything

Dimarzio Distortion- great for 80s metal in E standard. A bit loose in the lows for down-tuning

Full Shred- I like this pickup but not in these guitars. Just too tight in the lows. Too stiff.

Dimarzio 36th Anni Bridge- great sounding pickup but low on output. Great for anything from blues to 80s metal. IMO output's a little low for a super saturated modern tone.

Dimarzio Dominion- way too much midrange for these guitars. Sounded and felt extremely "stiff".

Duncan Distortion- perfect balance of tight lows and good highs without being ice-picky. Down-tunes well. Plenty of output. Lead tone is good but not as good as the JB.

So far, my favorite bridge pickups in my SEs are the JB and Duncan Distortion.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
So far, my favorite bridge pickups in my SEs are the JB and Duncan Distortion.
Makes sense, since these are basically the same pickup with a magnet swap :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

I didnt bother messing with my trem, it works fine :shrug:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts