Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend John (also plays Bass with me in my band) is looking for a new Bass rig.

He was considering going with an Ampeg tube head; but because its a tube head its going to get really heavy.

I suggested trying a Carvin DCM1540L and using something like a used PODX3 rackmount for a pre amp.

Something kind of like this (is this a good deal BTW?)

Bass Amp Rack System - Line6 Bass Pod Pro and Power Amp - eBay (item 110618767981 end time Dec-07-10 19:23:42 PST)

This way he can use it for both a Bass rig and a guitar rig; i guess the tone he is going for is something similar to Cynic / Scale the Summit; what would you guys recommend for him?

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Honestly, I'd go for a more tight modern amp, not a warm tube amp. Check out the newer mark bass heads or thunderfunk heads. Those are my two favs out there right now.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to lend him my cab for the time being (the one on the right), i have no idea what it is or what speakers are in it (i bought it from an old friend he sold his entire bass rig a few years ago).

There is no plate in the back either that identifies it; does it look familiar at all?

·
18,790 Posts
I had an Ampeg SVT-3Pro, and it was heavy-ish, but smaller, and sounded beautiful. I've heard great stuff from those Markbass heads, though, and Eden amps are godly. If he ends up going with a POD setup, absolutely don't go for anything less than the X3 series, the dual-amp feature is awesome, and would allow him to run a wet/dry (dirty/clean) tone, which is the key to a godly, dirty-ish bass tone.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Kind of looks Peavey-ish.
Ah cool, it sounds amazing (have it plugged into my MosValve + PodXT and its really flat response) for guitar at least.

He likes the tone of it when he comes over and plugs his bass in (but thats also at low volumes)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That 4x10 isn't Peavey; they usually have the metal vertical rails on the sides. Not Hartke either, as they've generally got aluminum-cone speakers.

What's his budget? Any carrying capacity concerns? Does he need overdrive, "modern" clean, or more warm and old-school?

·
18,790 Posts
That 4x10 isn't Peavey; they usually have the metal vertical rails on the sides. Not Hartke either, as they've generally got aluminum-cone speakers.

What's his budget? Any carrying capacity concerns? Does he need overdrive, "modern" clean, or more warm and old-school?
He mentioned Cynic and Scale the Summit, which to me would say a cleaner, articulate tone.

Dude from Scale the Summit seems to use a Yorkville head, and those are pretty sweet amps, though not exactly light IIRC. (looks like he's got the same DBX 160a compressor I used, too, those are beautiful)

Eden or Markbass would be perfect for that tone, though. GK would work well too.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'd go Eden for the STS tone. It's more "warm" than "clanky." A WT400/WT405/WT550 can be had for ~$500ish.

The Markbass Little Marks can do it, but I hate where they put the center frequency of the low mid control, and I'm used to the Eden's rather comprehensive EQ section. The GKs are nice and not quite as clanky as the Genz Benz amps; an 800RB is a good choice too.

My current amp GAS is the TC Electronic RH450. It's very warm and old-school sounding and has a great compressor, tuner, and overdrive, three presets, and delivers a very honest 450W and weighing 9 lbs. Only problem is the cost, used they're $600-700 and new they're $1000. I'd get that instead of that rackmounted beast though.

·
18,790 Posts
I'd go Eden for the STS tone. It's more "warm" than "clanky." A WT400/WT405/WT550 can be had for ~$500ish.

The Markbass Little Marks can do it, but I hate where they put the center frequency of the low mid control, and I'm used to the Eden's rather comprehensive EQ section. The GKs are nice and not quite as clanky as the Genz Benz amps; an 800RB is a good choice too.

My current amp GAS is the TC Electronic RH450. It's very warm and old-school sounding and has a great compressor, tuner, and overdrive, three presets, and delivers a very honest 450W and weighing 9 lbs. Only problem is the cost, used they're $600-700 and new they're $1000. I'd get that instead of that rackmounted beast though.
Yeah, every time I've heard a Markbass head, I've thought it sounds sort of like they're trying to go for the Eden sound/concept, but don't quite live up to it. Edens are beautiful, though. That TC head does look and sound very awesome, too.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Ok cool, i will mention that Eden to him (told him to come on here and post / but he is studying for finals, haha).

I'm not entirely sure what his budget is, but I know he would like to keep it between 500 - 1k for the head or Preamp + poweramp.

Is the Carvin i suggested to him earlier a bad option for bass?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of Line 6 bass tones, but that Carvin is an excellent power amp. You can run a Sansamp Character Series Pedal or RBI into it as a preamp too.

Also, my favorite Markbass is the F500, which has semi-parametric EQ so you can actually fill in that "lower mid hole" that the F1 and Little Mark series have. It's like $800 though.

So, my recommendations:
-TC RH450 - $600-1000
-Eden WT400, WT405, WT550, or WT800 - $500-1000
-Markbass F500 - $500-800
-GK 800RB - $400-800
-GK MB500 - $400-600

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm not a huge fan of Line 6 bass tones, but that Carvin is an excellent power amp. You can run a Sansamp Character Series Pedal or RBI into it as a preamp too.

Also, my favorite Markbass is the F500, which has semi-parametric EQ so you can actually fill in that "lower mid hole" that the F1 and Little Mark series have. It's like $800 though.

So, my recommendations:
-TC RH450 - $600-1000
-Eden WT400, WT405, WT550, or WT800 - $500-1000
-Markbass F500 - $500-800
-GK 800RB - $400-800
-GK MB500 - $400-600
Thanks brother, i will forward this to him :yesway:

:(

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
If he ends up getting a bass rig on a low budget, I HIGHLY recommend the MXR DI++ or Sansamp pedal. Seriously. But if he gets a good rig, he won't need it.

There's also an Ampeg SVT7PRO 1000W $800

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Sansamp RBI and a good poweramp, or even just run the damn thing direct to FOH

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Sansamp RBI and a good poweramp, or even just run the damn thing direct to FOH
For a good cheap loud rig, it's hard to beat the RBI/VT Bass/VT Bass Deluxe/Leeds, and a Crown Drivecore XLS 1000, 1500, or 2500.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
If he ends up getting a bass rig on a low budget, I HIGHLY recommend the MXR DI++ or Sansamp pedal. Seriously. But if he gets a good rig, he won't need it.

There's also an Ampeg SVT7PRO 1000W $800
If he plans on gigging, he will want a separate DI anyways in case the worst happens and his bass rig blows up. So I would definitely pick one up as a backup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts