Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use wine to play games on linux, and by default wine installs software to your home directory. I plan on using a RAID5 as my home directory. Would this hinder game performance in a noticeable way? If so then that means I'd have to buy a larger (more expensive) SSD :(

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
make a directory on the ssd and link the .wine folder to it?

mv .wine .wine.old
mkdir /immafag
chown zepp
ln -s /immafag .wine/
????
profit

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, yeah, a symlink, or just an edit to the wine config could tell wine to install on the SSD. I know this much :lol:

I just need to know if running the games from the RAID would suck. As it is now I am planning on a 60GB SSD for linux and all the other programs, and I need to know whether I have to change that plan.

Or, I could try it in RAID10, because according to discussion from another thread, it is faster.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm good point.

Maybe I should just stop thinking :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Why the fuck would running off raid slow you down? You get n-1 disk read speeds when using an n-disk raid5 array, iirc. What the fuck are you talking about? :lol:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no experience running RAID in a setup like this, so I honestly have no clue. Articles online keep talking about speed issues, but I am guessing that it is more for writes than reads. Plus I tend to overthink shit :lol:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't you use Windows? :squint:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Yes, I also enjoy being able to play games without fannying about with any additional, unneccessary shit :)

(althought online verification does my fucking tits in :pissed:)

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Far too much hassle :lol: Besides, why bother when I get free Windows licenses from work and can use their support? :D
Because using Windows is a hassle in itself :lol:

My stress level setting up a linux install and using wine is much lower than using Windows as it is intended to be used. I actually find linux oddly therapeutic :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts