Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Quick question about RAID read speeds and wine games...

1K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  zepp 
#1 ·
I use wine to play games on linux, and by default wine installs software to your home directory. I plan on using a RAID5 as my home directory. Would this hinder game performance in a noticeable way? If so then that means I'd have to buy a larger (more expensive) SSD :(

#3 ·
Well, yeah, a symlink, or just an edit to the wine config could tell wine to install on the SSD. I know this much :lol:

I just need to know if running the games from the RAID would suck. As it is now I am planning on a 60GB SSD for linux and all the other programs, and I need to know whether I have to change that plan.

Or, I could try it in RAID10, because according to discussion from another thread, it is faster.

#8 ·
I have no experience running RAID in a setup like this, so I honestly have no clue. Articles online keep talking about speed issues, but I am guessing that it is more for writes than reads. Plus I tend to overthink shit :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.