Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note: I am NOT even remotely a blues player, so this is me playing cheesy, shitty blues runs. :lol: You can see me run out of ideas about 12 times in this one minute clip.

Guitar's intonation is all jacked up, and there's an acre of buzzy string noise, but you'll get the basic idea. I'll let Drew do it the right way this weekend. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plain old golds.

And yes, please get them, and make a video that isn't "LOOK AT THE SHREDDER SUCK AT BLUES" like mine. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The run at :37 was totally pushing the speed limit for blues :metal:

And isn't the string noise what makes it authentic? Cani't have the blues on a perfectly setup guitar :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And if anyone actually likes that tone under the wall of my ridiculously hard pick attack and all the buzzing strings, that's just Ch2 on the Roadster w/reverb.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The run at :37 was totally pushing the speed limit for blues :metal:

And isn't the string noise what makes it authentic? Cani't have the blues on a perfectly setup guitar :lol:
Not this much noise. :lol: It came with 9's, and I put 11's on it, and haven't touched the truss rod. I'm afraid of it. :drew:

If you listen, right before I get to that run, I do a small harmonic, catch myself about to play something normal, try and think my way into default_blues_pattern_001 that I know, and then just say fuck it. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Not this much noise. :lol: It came with 9's, and I put 11's on it, and haven't touched the truss rod. I'm afraid of it. :drew:

If you listen, right before I get to that run, I do a small harmonic, catch myself about to play something normal, try and think my way into default_blues_pattern_001 that I know, and then just say fuck it. :lol:
The strings sound too new for blues. Time for some

Also, two words - Paisley Pickguard :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wow Chris :lol:

The tone sounds good, but that is NOT your preferred playing style.

Pentatonics-pentantonics-ahhfuckitshredwank-ohyeahpentatonics :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow Chris :lol:

The tone sounds good, but that is NOT your preferred playing style.

Pentatonics-pentantonics-ahhfuckitshredwank-ohyeahpentatonics :lol:
Yup, that's my blues playing in a nutshell, all day long. :lol: I'm like the Zakk Wylde of blues! :D

I can actually pull of a better attempt at it than that, but honestly, it's a 30 second clip of pickups on a guitar that's completely out of whack. Pentatonics are easy. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'm not gonna say that wasn't bluesy, because I don't listen to blues beyond Rory Gallagher, but I sense that a 50 year old crotchety blues guy would have been somewhat less than convinced by your shred/blues run :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I can't watch the video from work, but please ignore everything Chris is saying. I suspect he's a lot like me, and that there was a time when he spent a LOT of time playing SRV stuff. The only difference is I've kind of been getting back into that stuff lately, so it's not as far below the surface anymore for me as it is for Chris.

But, the raw building blocks are there. :yesway: I was really surprised the first time I heard him pick up my Strat.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't watch the video from work, but please ignore everything Chris is saying. I suspect he's a lot like me, and that there was a time when he spent a LOT of time playing SRV stuff. The only difference is I've kind of been getting back into that stuff lately, so it's not as far below the surface anymore for me as it is for Chris.

But, the raw building blocks are there. :yesway: I was really surprised the first time I heard him pick up my Strat.
This video will not rekindle any of those memories, sir. :lol:

I can certainly play better than this represents, but again, I wasn't about to sit down and compose some blues thing and arrange and record it. I ran a few pentatonic scales to show people what pickups sound like. I tried to play basically the same thing on each pickup. Basically. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Does anyone else here shadow their blues lines vocally? Great technique to get it sounding authentic. If theres an intermidiary step of getting drunk, jamming with some friends and doing call and response blues licks with shadowing can be the greatest thing ever.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Those pickups sound great.

I like your playing, too. Fuck the blues purists. Your gear isn't vintage-y enough for them, anyway--you'd need Fralins and some kind of tweed-covered Fender amp for them to approve. Which is funny, because so many of the classic electric bluesmen got their sound by making their gear do stuff it wasn't designed to do.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
The pickups do sound great... I'm impressed. Nice shreddy blues licks too!

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Sounds good!

I need my strat in my hands ASAFP damn it. Also, I couldn't get that bluesy if I tried (and I have)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts