Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why you ask?

Problem: I have a gig this weekend in Portland and I have a computer in my rig. The shortest rack mountable case I could find some time ago is quite long for standard racks. That and try hooking all that shit up in the dark at a gig. Not fun.

Exhibit A :ugh: :

So, my solution is:
:idea:
Cut a big fucking hole in that fucker. :flex:

Then some aluminum for a frame:

Test fit time. You'll see a gap in the raised portion on the top right. My initial idea was to put the next piece of aluminum on top of the case plastic and into that gap. But as you'll see in the next pic, I didn't end up doing that.

So I have the bottom angle aluminum and the top angle for the top support riveted to a 1 1/2" aluminum strap that I bent to fit the hole (he he, hole). It's a bit sloppy of a cut, but i don't plan on entering it into any beauty pageants.

It just so happens that the gap you see at the top is exactly the thickness of the plastic I bought at the hardware store.

The plastic in question. I got it from the scrap bin at the hardware store for a few clams.

All cut out and test fitted. Then rivets added. You'll notice in the second pic that there are holes in the plastic that don't have rivets. I actually ran out and had to go back to the hardware store. In total I ended up using 45 rivets.

Awe.....
What's in the box??

A really good use of all those "On-line" musical instrument retailer catalogs they keep sending me.

And the finished product with a little spray on truck bed liner from DuPont.

There are a few things I could have done differently to get a better looking result, but this appears to work fine. The true test will be Saturday at our gig.

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just in case anyone was wondering, this is what my rig looks like from the front when all set up. The rack case on the bottom is actually empty. I just happen to like the height it ads.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Sweet merciful Dio, that's a gigantic PC :lol:

Is this a karaoke machine or something?

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:lol:

No, right now I use it for my MIDI control with the wireless pedal that I built. I had to use a regular sized case because I have an audio card installed in a PCI slot.

In the near future, I'm going to use it as a loop sampler and possibly send video to a projector if available. I have some work to do in the programming department to get that working still.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts