Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reconsidering my Gator 4U rackbag as Tom thoroughly (and kindly :cool:) convinced me I'm an idiot for not leaving space for:

• A legible tuner (thinking Stroborack, 1U)
  • A power conditioner (Furman something, 1U)
  • BLINKY FUCKIN' LIGHTS (FU)
The Axe-Fx and my DCM1000 will consume 4U, so I need 2-4 extra U-power.

Every piece of gear listed here is like 10.5" deep at most. The rackbag has a 13.5" rackable depth.

Is there any reason to go with a full-depth (19") rack if nothing inside of it will be remotely that deep? I'm thinking of space for wiring, wall warts, etc.

If not, the shallower depth racks (12-14") should have better weight balance in addition to slightly lighter and having a smaller footprint. 8U seems hard to find in a shallow format so it's basically a big 19" cube. 6U are easy to come by.

Looking for input on the depth issue, and willing to take advice on which rack case to snag. I like the Gator Pro-G, and they come in fr00t too, but they are not shallow.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
There's no reason you can't have a shallow rack. If the lids get close to the back of the gear you've got a choice of either using 90degree connections or getting one of the deep lids that are meant to have storage and just removing the storage bag. Doesn't matter one bit if the leads stick out in use.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Also, you don't need an overpriced "power conditioner" since most of them are just glorified power strips. Also, the Stroborack is about the worst live tuner ever. You will never actually be in tune as far as it is concerned :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, the Stroborack is about the worst live tuner ever. You will never actually be in tune as far as it is concerned :lol:
Oh? I always managed to tune band instruments to a strobe very quickly. I am not pleased with +/- 3-5 cent accuracy in the Korg model, and I need something awesome for setups. Is it easy to just shoot past the pitch with the Stroborack?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
It is just never, ever, EVER happy. It's also $250. You'd get more bang for your buck buying an Ultra.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is just never, ever, EVER happy. It's also $250. You'd get more bang for your buck buying an Ultra.
$360 :eek:

As for the power conditioner, I realize that it is not a voltage regulator. It is a conditioner, strictly (7) speaking. It will disconnect the power if you try to plug into a 240V line (knock on wood but I don't think that's happening), has some kind of LC circuit to attenuate higher-than-audio frequencies (RF interference) for signal purity, and in theory should be a very good surge protector.

I can't speak for the quality without opening a Furman up, but a $12 power strip from Home Depot does not have effectively fast/robust surge protection, regardless of whatever ridiculous claims they may make.

Cliff says the Axe draws about 1/10th of an amp (about 10 W @ 120 V) and has an auto-ranging power supply, so it can accept a wide range of incoming voltages. Since the current should not dip/rise much with a voltage drop/spike with such a low power draw, the unit is pretty impervious to voltage variability, hence a voltage regulator is not required.

A high-current amp will benefit from a voltage regulator, but those are expensive and I'm not buying one.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After some research, I've come to some conclusions about surge suppressors/noise filters (for confusion's sake I'll stop calling them power conditioners).

• Noise filtration can be nice for digital components, but is usually handled internally by any component worth its salt (I'd be surprised if the Axe-Fx does not have a rudimentary EMI/RF rejection circuit built in). Noise can cause audible interference in analog components.
  • Voltage regulation is really not a big deal unless you want to run very high current amps at high levels in terrible power conditions - then you might risk some damage to things if voltages drop considerably below nominal, but not necessarily.
  • Inexpensive surge strips can only handle a few hundred Joules of energy before melting down and letting a surge bleed through. Carvin's model can only handle 140 J, while Furman doesn't even quote this standard performance spec.
I've found a nice solution from APC that has better EMI/RF attenuation than any Furman, a very high energy rating (1700 J), and a cable management system and protected power switch. No blinky lights or pull-out LEDs, but the cost is $80 at Amazon.

Amazon.com: APC NET9RMBLK Rackmount SurgeArrest 9-Outlet/1700 Joules/120V Surge Protector: Electronics

APC Black Rackmount SurgeArrest 9 Outlet 120V

I'm snagging one - if anyone else needs a power strip for their rack, I'd recommend one of these.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Also, you don't need an overpriced "power conditioner" since most of them are just glorified power strips. Also, the Stroborack is about the worst live tuner ever. You will never actually be in tune as far as it is concerned :lol:
The Samson conditioner that I have has the best lighting setup ever, and I like it a hundred times more than the old slide-out-tubes-of-bulbs type that I had before.

Buy Samson POWERBRITE at MusiciansBuy!

If it ever dies, I will get another one immediately.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
After some research, I've come to some conclusions about surge suppressors/noise filters (for confusion's sake I'll stop calling them power conditioners).

• Noise filtration can be nice for digital components, but is usually handled internally by any component worth its salt (I'd be surprised if the Axe-Fx does not have a rudimentary EMI/RF rejection circuit built in). Noise can cause audible interference in analog components.
  • Voltage regulation is really not a big deal unless you want to run very high current amps at high levels in terrible power conditions - then you might risk some damage to things if voltages drop considerably below nominal, but not necessarily.
  • Inexpensive surge strips can only handle a few hundred Joules of energy before melting down and letting a surge bleed through. Carvin's model can only handle 140 J, while Furman doesn't even quote this standard performance spec.
I've found a nice solution from APC that has better EMI/RF attenuation than any Furman, a very high energy rating (1700 J), and a cable management system and protected power switch. No blinky lights or pull-out LEDs, but the cost is $80 at Amazon.

Amazon.com: APC NET9RMBLK Rackmount SurgeArrest 9-Outlet/1700 Joules/120V Surge Protector: Electronics

APC Black Rackmount SurgeArrest 9 Outlet 120V

I'm snagging one - if anyone else needs a power strip for their rack, I'd recommend one of these.
Nooooo!

You won't be able to get a 1-Spot in either of those without sacrificing an outlet. If you really want to go with a plain jane unit like that, give me a day or two, I think I might have one laying around somewhere and I'll just give it to you if I do.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
1-Spot? Sacrifice an outlet? It has like 8.
Visual Sound One Spot 9VDC / 1700 Ma Adapter NW1

It'll poke down into the rest of your stuff. Mine has a separate sideways outlet that it fits in without blocking anything else.

Edit: 8 outlets seems like 4 too many, but think of things that only turn on with your guitar amp when you use it. I run my wah, and my OD power supplies into mine, along with the power for my recording interface.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see what you're saying, it would be nice to have a couple of sideways plugs. I ditched all my pedals in my Axe-quest, so I don't need a 1-Spot, but I will have a phantom power wall wart for my Midimate, and whatever my eventual tuner requires.

I do appreciate your offer for a work-acquired strip. PM me. :yesway: Can it have a SECRET sticker?

I want to point out that they discontinued your Powerbrite and now only have models with the pull-out LEDs. :noway:

The surge power rating on the new and old units are < 100 Joules too, man. If you ask me, that's pretty weak, so the unit is going to die if it gets hit hard enough, and then may or may not allow current to seep through after it's dead (depends on the design, but the APC is supposedly designed not to).

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Just get a $20 Furman EMI/RFI power strip, and velcro it to the back/side/whatever inside of your rack.

Save that extra 1U for important things. Like blinky lights.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
No way dude, find the slide out. It's awesome. Especially if you get an AFX, because it has black buttons that aren't backlit.

If it'll save you some immediate coinage, PM me your addy and I'll chuck one in the mail for you (assuming I have more than one spare - Drew's getting 8U of random rack shit from me for free, and I think the PS is the only thing he actually wants for his recording desk :lol:).

Edit: Also, I only use the strip as a power strip, eg a convenient way to turn all your shit on at once. It plugs into a proper Big Ass UPS. You should do that too. Don't trust a $2000 effects unit to a $50 surge suppressor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.