Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a new MoBo that has RAID support for 0 and 1 and I have two 1TB HDD's that I'd like to raid if possible.

Do the HDD's need to be the same brand and model or can the be different?

I want to use RAID 1, correct?

Also I have a 500GB HDD That i want to install the OS and programs on, is this possible?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Depends on the controller I think, but in general I believe they can be dissimilar drives.

RAID method depends on what you want - mirroring for redundancy or striping for speed.
RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally I would have the OS and programs on a striped array, with the "media" drive as a standalone, but that's just me.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Usually you get same model drives but as long as the capacity you partition them to is the same it should be fine.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I read that but im looking for it to be a saftey net, so thats RAID 1, right?

and the 500GB is going to be separate from the RAID for my media and files. I can install the OS and my handful of programs any day but my AutoCAD files and my pics and recordings aren't easily replaced nor is the time spent acquiring all my mp3's :lol:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Usually you get same model drives but as long as the capacity you partition them to is the same it should be fine.
well they are both 1TB drives and both are 7200RPM IIRC so do i just need to make them exactly the same size? I.E. use my disc utility to make them both be 930GB?

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
if one of the drives is slightly bigger, then the last few bytes on it won't get used. but the raid setup knows that already, so it's mostly plug and play.
0=speed
1=never loose data again (unless both disks should break down at the same time)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts