Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just wanted to make this post to clear up an issue regarding silent recording with a Randall Diavlo using the XLR output. The instructions from Randall really only say to leave the amp in standby. :spock: Randall's customer service even told me to leave the amp in standby. :scream: Disregard this strange bit of information. :squint: I found out by accident that the amp must be off standby (like normal when playing), but the master volume has to be turned completely down. I don't know if this is something that a more experienced guitarist would already know to do, but the instructions from Randall are not the greatest. Especially to someone that has little experience. I was ready to ship the amp back until I happened to figure it out myself. I hope this helps anyone that may be interested in this particular amp. It really is a beast. :metal:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I would call Randall and make sure again. Tell them that it seems to work with the amp off of standby. If the instructions and the folks at Randall said to leave the amp in standby, its probably for a reason. Your amp may have an issue causing it to work improperly and I'd hate for you to blow up your brand new amp when it could have easily been repaired :yesway:

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would call Randall and make sure again. Tell them that it seems to work with the amp off of standby. If the instructions and the folks at Randall said to leave the amp in standby, its probably for a reason. Your amp may have an issue causing it to work improperly and I'd hate for you to blow up your brand new amp when it could have easily been repaired :yesway:
I actually called Randall again, and they said I am correct. They also said they will look into adding a sentence into future instructions informing folks to turn the master volume all the way down. The guy said the standby issue can be very confusing, so there aren't really any good ways to word it that everyone will understand. Some think standby in the "On" position means the amp is on standby, while others interpret it as being in "Play" mode. That is where I was confused, being somewhat inexperienced with such things. Anyway, I made sure I am doing it, and informing others, correctly. :yesway: They said I was, nothing will blow up, and thanks for letting them know. :metal:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Oh awesome, I used to work customer service for an amp manufacture and I cant count the amount of times a phone call would have saved someones amp :lol: Just want to help a forum buddy out :yesway:

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How does it sound man?
I'm still trying to dial it in, but it seems to do modern American metal pretty well with the boost on. Almost Mesa like, but gets a bit fizzy when dimed. I'm still learning Reaper, so as soon as I figure out what I'm doing, I plan on tracking something. Maybe some Judas Priest for starters. :metal:

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm still trying to dial it in, but it seems to do modern American metal pretty well with the boost on. Almost Mesa like, but gets a bit fizzy when dimed. I'm still learning Reaper, so as soon as I figure out what I'm doing, I plan on tracking something. Maybe some Judas Priest for starters. :metal:
Awesome cant wait to hear it:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took the liberty to record something with my RD5's silent out. You probably know the song.

https://soundcloud.com/blazetunedbeats%2Frandall-diavlo-rd5-xlr-out-test
This is 2 guitar tracks, one left and one right with the lows EQ'd out - i find the XLR out of the Diavlo has quite a bit of low end. Note that the buzz your hear is from my guitar, it's a pretty cheap ass guitar with passive pickups.

Been playing for about a year now, so it's still a bit sloppy, and slower than the original. Be gentle :)

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
lol be gentle? If i could have played master of puppets that well after just a year I'd be pretty chuffed with myself. :yesway:

i like the fact you slowed the song down to the point where you can play it with a good amount of clarity, rather than play it at full speed badly with piss poor technique. i can guarantee you'll get it up to full speed before long if you keep doing the steady approach.

sounds pretty good too - is that using an inbuilt cab IR or external to the amp?

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn! That was great for 1yr. Hell, I have been playing for nearly 2yrs (on and off) and couldn't do that well. :ugh: Of course, now that my Financial Aid took a shit and I have to quit college, I suddenly have all the time in the world to dedicate to playing. :rofl: Once I get my chops up, and get the hang of Reaper, I'll start posting some stuff. Learning Judas Priest's Breaking The Law right now. :metal:

Anyway, I think the XLR output on these is supposed to simulate a 4x12 cab. Did you just go with that, or did you use an impulse of some kind?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea the XLR out of the RD5 is supposed to simulate a miced up randall cab. I went from the XLR straight into Cubase and EQ'd (removed the lows) the two tracks in there.

I have a 2x12 cab with V30's which i think sounds way better than the simulated out, but i do not have a proper mic for that :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts