Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the Pi2 a few weeks ago and loaded RetroPie on it. I think I want to eventually build a bartop arcade for it, but for now i'm still working some of the kinks out of it and discovering all it can do. It's pretty damn impressive what this little $40 computer can do, that's for sure! :lol: The biggest issues I have so far is getting a wireless Xbox controller to work. I mean, I only want to use it for Dreamcast games anyway so it's not a big deal, but I just cannot get it to work correctly. All the usb controllers I have work just fine though after configuring them through RetroArch, it saves the config for each controller and loads said config when the controller is plugged in.

^ Before I could access the terminal remotely via Putty

Trying to scrape meta data for 3000 games...yeah, I eventually gave up on that idea.

Attachments

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I've got a b+ set up with retropie I've been using for a while now. I have a script somewhere for grabing verified sets, unzipping them, and grabbing the most relevant games (eg not japanese, not hacks, not known bad rips, preferring known good when theres an option, prefers US over EU etc).

Have it hooked up to my ps3 controller as well. Just wish it could power more over USB so I didn't have to have a hub just to power a BLE module.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have much trouble with the PS3 controller? I just uninstalled xboxdrv, just said fuck it. :lol: It would work in ES, and I even loaded the driver and added --detach-kernel-driver in terminal, but the D-Pad nor start and select would work in any game. When I go to configure the controller via RetroArch it won't let me manually configure it and instead just goes straight to "this controller has been configured and saved as config file blah blah" and goes back into ES.

I've been thinking about getting these (which are supposed to work fairly easily with RetroPie):

But i'm not sure I want to spend $60 on them if i'm going to eventually turn my Pi into an arcade. I suppose I could get another Pi and dedicate it to MAME games so it is more authentic though. :idea:

·
I don't like it.
11,070 Posts
I've got a Pi but only use it for torrents right now. I'd like to get a Pi 2 to use as my torrent server though, and could probably also set up RetroPie on it. The B+ I currently have tends to have a lot of issues when there are a lot of torrents still seeding, and it's been having problems where it thinks downloads are corrupted, only when they get reverified they're fine, so I think it's about time to upgrade.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna get one for RetroPi based simply off your recommendation :lol:
:highfive: Do you have any experience with Linux? Either way, the RetroPie forum will be extremely helpful with getting it all working. There is a page somewhere that shows which SD cards work the best. I remember people were having problems with Samsung EVO SD cards, but the other Samsung cards work just fine. It's simple to get the most common stuff working (NES, SNES, Genesis, etc) but some stuff like the GBA emulator can be a bit more tricky. I still can't get my 360 controller to work properly either. :shrug:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
:highfive: Do you have any experience with Linux? Either way, the RetroPie forum will be extremely helpful with getting it all working. There is a page somewhere that shows which SD cards work the best. I remember people were having problems with Samsung EVO SD cards, but the other Samsung cards work just fine. It's simple to get the most common stuff working (NES, SNES, Genesis, etc) but some stuff like the GBA emulator can be a bit more tricky. I still can't get my 360 controller to work properly either. :shrug:
The 360 controller isn't a HUGE concern, as I have a DS3, but I'd rather use the 360 pad as it's comfier.
I have a little Linux experience, not a lot, but it's a good learning curve either way, as it's something I've been meaning to dig into further.
I only really want it for SNES/N64/PSX if I'm honest!

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Did you have much trouble with the PS3 controller? I just uninstalled xboxdrv, just said fuck it. :lol: It would work in ES, and I even loaded the driver and added --detach-kernel-driver in terminal, but the D-Pad nor start and select would work in any game. When I go to configure the controller via RetroArch it won't let me manually configure it and instead just goes straight to "this controller has been configured and saved as config file blah blah" and goes back into ES.

I've been thinking about getting these (which are supposed to work fairly easily with RetroPie):

But i'm not sure I want to spend $60 on them if i'm going to eventually turn my Pi into an arcade. I suppose I could get another Pi and dedicate it to MAME games so it is more authentic though. :idea:
The only issues I had were with disconnects, but that ended up being based on the pi not powering the BLE module directly. Once I hooked it up to a powered USB hub, everything went fine. I might build a small case with a small powered hub with USB on both sides, so I can stick a few modules inside, and power the pi itself off of it, but leave a few powered USBs on the outside. That would allow me to hide all of the unused ports too, just an HDMI, a few usbs (like 2, in case i need to experiment with anything), and a standard power adapter. I wanna make it mount to the vesa mounts on the TV too, so it can be entirely self contained w/ the tv.

The mame idea is cool, but mame runs a bit slow for a lot of games on the pi.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
The 360 controller isn't a HUGE concern, as I have a DS3, but I'd rather use the 360 pad as it's comfier.
I have a little Linux experience, not a lot, but it's a good learning curve either way, as it's something I've been meaning to dig into further.
I only really want it for SNES/N64/PSX if I'm honest!
It's a nice, just-above-elementary CLI experience. Not the best if you've never touched it before, but some mild experience should be plenty.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like the issues I was having with the Xbox controller may have been because of the power adapter I was using not giving enough power to the Pi. I had some issues with my 2nd player SNES controller and those have been solved since I got a proper adapter. I'm about to install the xbox drivers and such now and see if it'll work correctly now.

*edit* Still having issues with the Xbox controller. A,B,X, and Y buttons work but nothing else does. :shrug:

·
I don't like it.
11,070 Posts
The only issues I had were with disconnects, but that ended up being based on the pi not powering the BLE module directly. Once I hooked it up to a powered USB hub, everything went fine. I might build a small case with a small powered hub with USB on both sides, so I can stick a few modules inside, and power the pi itself off of it, but leave a few powered USBs on the outside. That would allow me to hide all of the unused ports too, just an HDMI, a few usbs (like 2, in case i need to experiment with anything), and a standard power adapter. I wanna make it mount to the vesa mounts on the TV too, so it can be entirely self contained w/ the tv.

The mame idea is cool, but mame runs a bit slow for a lot of games on the pi.
So basically this will never happen :rofl:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just want to add that I believe most of us here have owned desktop computers with less power than this tiny $40 computer. This thing amazes the fuck out of me. I think i'm going to end up buying a lot of these just because they're fucking cool as shit. I want to submerge one in mineral oil and overclock it until either it dies or takes it, whichever comes first.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
You're hooked up over USB? running the controller itself through a powered USB hub.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a wireless 360 controller with the USB dongle. It's supposed to work, but it won't. I do not have a powered USB hub currently. I suppose I will spring for one of them, but i'm pretty content with having two working SNES controllers.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
The official USB saturn controllers are awesome but finding one is impossible now :( I should have gotten one when they came out...

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Amazon.com: Buffalo Classic USB Gamepad for PC: Computers & Accessories

I ordered a pair of these tonight. Not exact replicas, but they're higher rates than the ones that are, I'd prefer a better product than a replica.
That's pretty much exactly what i'm using minus the turbo.

The official USB saturn controllers are awesome but finding one is impossible now :( I should have gotten one when they came out...
I had no idea that was even a thing?!

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Yeah they were a limited edition run a few years ago. They make clones now but I doubt they're anywhere near as nice.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Yeah they were a limited edition run a few years ago. They make clones now but I doubt they're anywhere near as nice.
Are those the Play Sega ones or something different? I have a couple of the Play Sega ones which are pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts