Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting ready to buckle down for recording for my band, made a quick dirty test mix with sloppiest of playing...revalver mkiii.5, two tracks each panned 100% left/right with same amp settings as my real 6505, redwirez mesa cab, running into reaper, superior drummer 2 for drums with andy sneap preset and chamber mic turned off, no other eq'ing or tricks besides high pass filter for guitars set at 80hz, and a quick cd master preset from isotope ozone on the master track.

What do you guys think?

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
The guitars seem kind of stepped on by the drums. The volume might just be too low. The snare is way too overpowering. Presets are dangerous because you have to learn to mix guitar, bass, and vocals around them.

Take that with a grain of salt though, because my mixes suck! :lol:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:lol: just feels good to get something going at least, i can go and tweak from here. the fundamentals are there, I just gotta dive deeper...

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
drums sound mechanical, snare is too loud and too punchy, the guitars are fuzzy and indistinct... yeah, kill the presets, get a drummer and think heavily about going to an engineer to get this recorded and then watch how they make things sound good and copy that next time.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EDIT: even if the mixes don't sound right this is such a huge lesson in learning Reaper/DAW too (buses, mixing, effects, etc) that I've already learned so much and it's nice to just share progress with you guys :lol:

alright so I went back to the drawing board, hopefully this time things sound a little bit better...

started off using Nolly's SD2.0 presets and tweaking them a bit, used a different amp modeler this time (and recorded using my ts7ovchaos instead of the crappy ts plugin), still no bass guitar on the track. i appreciate any input, i think the guitars may be too loud this time but I'm just trying to get to a good final product

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
kill the presets, get a drummer and think heavily about going to an engineer to get this recorded and then watch how they make things sound good and copy that next time.
still this.

mixing and recording are hard to do. paying out of pocket to have someone do it for you is often better than trying to learn for your own first release. It takes a long time to get to the point where all of your stuff sounds awesome(Nolly, bulb etc)

unless you're willing to wait a year or longer to release your record, you should pay someone and then watch what they do.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we're getting there! tweaked TS7ovChaos settings, played this in standard b tuning to tighten it up a bit, lowered the snare a little, raised the kick a little...what do you think?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Well, you're in tune, so that's a good place to start :yesway:

:D

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Direct on-point comments:

1.) Snare is way too thick and doesn't have enough "crack" for that guitar sound.
2.) There's no room for a bassist. Anywhere.

Do you have this peak-limited? (It sure looks that way from the waveform.) If so, turn it off. Spend a LOT of time getting the drums to sound good together, then be prepared to re-tweak everything when you add guitars in. Right now, your mix is "cloudy", for lack of a better term.

The guitar tone is getting better, but the drums need a lot of work first.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate the tips guys, I'm gonna ditch the drum preset from nolly and start from scratch. We'll see how it turns out!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
more tweaking, more updates...kinda disheartening seeing the good guys make it sound good so quickly and I struggle so much. :lol: that's just the way it is, sharing the most recent result with you guys so you can see the progress (if anybody still cares :lol:)

RG2228A->HD500->Logic 9 w/ SD2.0

·
Read Only
3 Posts
more tweaking, more updates...kinda disheartening seeing the good guys make it sound good so quickly and I struggle so much. :lol: that's just the way it is, sharing the most recent result with you guys so you can see the progress (if anybody still cares :lol:)
The thing is they spent years working on stuff so they could get to the point where they can make things sound good quickly. You don't become a competent (much less good) guitarist overnight, it's the same thing with recording.

As for this mix... the snare is still too boxy, the guitars are offensive in the presence region, and you've still not made any room for the bass guitar. Everything is way too compressed - it's fatiguing to listen to 10 seconds of this, no one would sit through 45 minutes of it.

Also - the drum programming sounds completely robotic, there's no human feel to it at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts