Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just recorded a little something. Guitars were plugged directly in to my interface and all sounds are plugins available in cubase since I don't have anything else(cubase was expensive enough in itself).
This is just an experiment on my part to see if I could make a demo-worthy mix using headphones.;)
Untight and not very creative, but for a mixtest it does its job.

I would recommend to download the original mp3 because the re-encoding done by soundcloud made this sound like crap.
Just click the down-arrow to the right of the waveform.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
i can hear a snare and a distorted bass. and thats about it. a kick sort of and i know there is a guitar chord going on in the back but its... missing.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I suspect that soundclouds 128bps encoding. the original sound much better...

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Much better than that one other headphone mix, and without 10k in plugs!
I compensated for the lack of plugins by only working 15 minutes with it.
well, that was .... kinda funny:lol:

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
version 2

Guitars sound like sewage, but I think I got a much better mix here.

Tips&tricks=o u a beer :D

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
Can't hear the updated mix, but yeah, the original mix definitely isn't good enough to be a demo.
Not sure if that's your lack of mixing chops, or whether your headphones are pretty bad.

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
I hate to say this man, but 100% of the time, you're not going to get a perfect mix with headphones. Why don't you just go through your computer speakers? Even if they're not monitors, it will be easier to hear the mix as a whole. With headphones, you won't be getting a ton of low frequencies, so you may try to overcompensate for them (just a general rule). I'm mixing an album right now, and for months I tried headphones, and everything sounded like crap to me. Last week I switched to my computer speakers, and the mixes are already infinitely better.

This current mix doesn't sound awful right now though. You are definitely on the right track (Ha! Music pun...). Try messing with the guitars a bit more. Unfortunately, you're not going to get an amazing sound with cubase plugins. Also, it's cubase....

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Might be because I'm used to it, just like it better than anything else I've tried. + it has drum maps...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts