Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so this is my first time mixing an metal. I got bored and decided to try something, with headphones... I used amplitude 3 for guitar and bass(octave pedal) and toontrack for drums.
SoundClick artist: travis wahl - page with MP3 music downloads
its called quick metal mix
I can already tell by listening through the computer speakers that the snare needs to be a little bit louder. Naturally i want to be better at mixing metal(i follow the article as much as i could but without proper monitors its tough) So let me get some critism please. If you thought it was bad, i should show you it unmixed...i hate amplitude.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was afraid of that. They're just right in my headphones, which is scary.

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
To be honest, that whole mix really bad ; it shows that it's a quick mix.
If the drums are coming out fine in your own headphones, I think it's time to get a new set of monitoring gear, because the drums were basically non existent on both my studio monitors AND my cheap computer speakers (which I have lying around to see how stuff translates to cheaper sound computer sound systems).

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
That mix is horrible. I can't hear any drums at all (or any bass for that matter) and the guitars are ridiculously loud.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good good, i did it in about 30 minutes so ill take my time later tonight( to get used to headphones) and post the new one

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if i didnt live in a town house i would buy monitors, but i want to learn how to mix on my headphones effectively until then.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Mix sounds pretty bad in my iPod earbuds, from what I hear, iPod headbuds are the best sounding things in the universe. :lol:

Guitars sounded way to distorted, so much so that I couldn't even lock into the rhythm of the guitar cause all the strokes just kinda ran over eachother.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mix sounds pretty bad in my iPod earbuds, from what I hear, iPod headbuds are the best sounding things in the universe. :lol:

Guitars sounded way to distorted, so much so that I couldn't even lock into the rhythm of the guitar cause all the strokes just kinda ran over eachother.
thats one of the things i dont like about amplitude. Its either not distorted enough or its too distorted. Ive tried many different things, but at least i did a DI and can go back and dial down the distortion and try different mics/cabs to get the tone im looking for.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
this.

also, what school did you go to for recording that they didn't teach you some of these things?
:agreed:

Also, some advice. If this is your profession, NEVER post something that isn't polished up to industry standard. Hearing that clip guarantees me that I will never go to you to track, produce, mix, and master.

I post crappy shit because I am an engineer (not sound, mechanical and material), and I do this for fun.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wait... you're going to recording school, and you're not only mixing on headphones, but you don't know to drop gain on heavy guitars, pump mids, and layer them to get that tight heaviness?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.