Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uh oh. :(

So I'm boxing up a Sii-7 to be sent back to Rob for repairs to the headstock. And now I'm noticing that the trussrod is rattling no matter where I tap on the back of the neck. No matter how much I tighten or loosen the nut, the rattling doesnt go away.

It's a bi-flex trussrod. And it seems to be working OK from what I can tell. But I'm getting worried that this isn't going to be an easy repair for Rob. My last neck-thru gtr that had an issue like this was eventually scrapped for firewood. Well it was actually a bass. But still...

For those who don't remember. It's this guitar (damage photo on page 2). The headstock was damaged during shipping; because it was upside-down most of the time with the headstock bouncing off the end of the case.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Make sure to mention it to Rob and he'll fix it. For a luthier, the worst case scenario is not as bad of a job as it is for anyone else.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I hope it all turns out okay, that is a freaking sweet guitar.

EDIT: Seeing all these KxK guitars is starting to make me want to save for a KxK custom instead of a BRJ

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure to mention it to Rob and he'll fix it. For a luthier, the worst case scenario is not as bad of a job as it is for anyone else.
I sent him an e-mail about this earlier today. The gtr is getting shipped out this afternoon.

Man I really hope it's not that bad. Because I actually was 'kind of' getting used to having a neck pickup on a 27" scale gtr.

...and for me that's crazy talk. :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Was it doing it with strings on? I see it all the time when guitars are unstrung but with strings on its an issue. Generally results in the removal and replacement of the trussrod, which for rob i dont imagine being too big of an issue

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Idiot check: are you positive it is the trussrod? I've thought the same thing before, and then it turned out to be a loose nut on one of the tuning machines.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Idiot check completed: I made sure everything was tightened and it wasn't coming from anywhere on the headstock before e-mailing Rob about it.

When I put my ear up against the back of the neck and start randomly tapping around. It sounds like the rattling was centered around the 3rd to 5th fret.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last one - strap buttons aren't rattling?

Otherwise sounds pretty certain, think you're right, particularly if it's coming from where you describe.
No strap buttons. The gtr has recessed Dunlop straplock inserts. No strap was attached to the gtr when checking things out.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
While the process for doing for resetting/replacing a truss rod is kindof invasive, its rob. Ittle be fine :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Yeah, basically he'll pop the fb off, spunk on the truss rod, mix it with cornflour and let it set.

Once the semen-glue (semenhesive?) has set he'll stick the fb and shoot it back to you.

It's invasive, but harmless and easy if you know what you're doing - if he's built them, then...:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah well he's already got a bit of a "to-do" list on this one. Most of it was minor cosmetic work and simple things like adding a string retainer and a wrench holder.

I can only imagine what his reaction is going to be when he finds out "removing the fretboard" has been added to the list. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Yeah, basically he'll pop the fb off, spunk on the truss rod, mix it with cornflour and let it set.

Once the semen-glue (semenhesive?) has set he'll stick the fb and shoot it back to you.

It's invasive, but harmless and easy if you know what you're doing - if he's built them, then...:lol:
Remember the guy on ss.org who used to be called Ejaculadhesive? :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts