Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uh oh. :(

So I'm boxing up a Sii-7 to be sent back to Rob for repairs to the headstock. And now I'm noticing that the trussrod is rattling no matter where I tap on the back of the neck. No matter how much I tighten or loosen the nut, the rattling doesnt go away.

It's a bi-flex trussrod. And it seems to be working OK from what I can tell. But I'm getting worried that this isn't going to be an easy repair for Rob. My last neck-thru gtr that had an issue like this was eventually scrapped for firewood. Well it was actually a bass. But still...

For those who don't remember. It's this guitar (damage photo on page 2). The headstock was damaged during shipping; because it was upside-down most of the time with the headstock bouncing off the end of the case.

· Premium Member
32,642 Posts
Make sure to mention it to Rob and he'll fix it. For a luthier, the worst case scenario is not as bad of a job as it is for anyone else.

· Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure to mention it to Rob and he'll fix it. For a luthier, the worst case scenario is not as bad of a job as it is for anyone else.
I sent him an e-mail about this earlier today. The gtr is getting shipped out this afternoon.

Man I really hope it's not that bad. Because I actually was 'kind of' getting used to having a neck pickup on a 27" scale gtr.

...and for me that's crazy talk. :lol:

· Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Was it doing it with strings on? I see it all the time when guitars are unstrung but with strings on its an issue. Generally results in the removal and replacement of the trussrod, which for rob i dont imagine being too big of an issue

· Premium Member
32,642 Posts
Idiot check: are you positive it is the trussrod? I've thought the same thing before, and then it turned out to be a loose nut on one of the tuning machines.

· Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Idiot check completed: I made sure everything was tightened and it wasn't coming from anywhere on the headstock before e-mailing Rob about it.

When I put my ear up against the back of the neck and start randomly tapping around. It sounds like the rattling was centered around the 3rd to 5th fret.

· NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,256 Posts
Yeah, basically he'll pop the fb off, spunk on the truss rod, mix it with cornflour and let it set.

Once the semen-glue (semenhesive?) has set he'll stick the fb and shoot it back to you.

It's invasive, but harmless and easy if you know what you're doing - if he's built them, then...:lol:

· Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah well he's already got a bit of a "to-do" list on this one. Most of it was minor cosmetic work and simple things like adding a string retainer and a wrench holder.

I can only imagine what his reaction is going to be when he finds out "removing the fretboard" has been added to the list. :lol:

· Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Yeah, basically he'll pop the fb off, spunk on the truss rod, mix it with cornflour and let it set.

Once the semen-glue (semenhesive?) has set he'll stick the fb and shoot it back to you.

It's invasive, but harmless and easy if you know what you're doing - if he's built them, then...:lol:
Remember the guy on ss.org who used to be called Ejaculadhesive? :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.