Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure they don't play as well as they look, but I'm Really gassing over some of the blem Raven West guitars. I read some reviews, which were all surprisingly good and if I can scrape up the $$ I may end up snagging one just to have a hollowbody in my arsenal. (Country guys use hollowbodies right?)

also this... (Sycamore! Not Maple)

Anyone own one of these guitars? How do they hold up? I'm sure after some new tuners, electronics, and a good setup they'd probably play really nice.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
they look like ASS in person, and play and sound pretty bad

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they look like ASS in person, and play and sound pretty bad
Which model(s) did you have experience with? The Hollowbody is $289 because of a small ding in it, I really don't have too much to lose on it haha. But that is about what I feared.

Years ago, I had a rhythm guitarist (then turned drummer) that had an old one, when the original owner owned it (before he killed the new owners mother :nuts:) and it didn't have a thick top like those, it was surely a photo flame but it was a fairly nice midrange guitar overall. That is the only experience i've had, and they don't make anything close to that model. It looked like an RG and a BC Rich Eagle mated and had a baby.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RG7200 Bubinga Neck Thru BLEMISH

Like that, but with a veneer finish.

woulda been ok with a refin, a refret/board planing, and replacement of all hardware :shrug:
Ah, gotcha. Maybe i'll just pass on it and find one of those schecter hollowbodies for cheap somewhere. If only I knew I needed some 6ers when Chris was selling his! :scream::rofl:

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
I own 2 RWG's. An RG777 and a semi hollow tele shaped nylon string. I don't see either on the web site anymore. Max's comments have me suspecting that maybe the quality control is a little spotty but I certainly can't complain about the workmanship on either. The nylon string in fact has incredible fit and finish. The 7 string has a fantastically comfortable neck and the fretwork is very good. The hardware is certainly not great and the electronics are what you'd expect. They need to be changed.

They are about the same price point as Agile but I've never played an Agile for comparison. I suspect they are about even, maybe giving Agile the edge based on what I've read around here.

Since I got mine a few years ago they have certainly gone more in the direction of the tacky "chinese import" inlays. I can't say I really dig most of what they have on their site now but if the quality is about the same as I got for the price they make a great project guitar. :shrug:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

BigM555 said:
I own 2 RWG's. An RG777 and a semi hollow tele shaped nylon string. I don't see either on the web site anymore. Max's comments have me suspecting that maybe the quality control is a little spotty but I certainly can't complain about the workmanship on either. The nylon string in fact has incredible fit and finish. The 7 string has a fantastically comfortable neck and the fretwork is very good. The hardware is certainly not great and the electronics are what you'd expect. They need to be changed.

They are about the same price point as Agile but I've never played an Agile for comparison. I suspect they are about even, maybe giving Agile the edge based on what I've read around here.

Since I got mine a few years ago they have certainly gone more in the direction of the tacky "chinese import" inlays. I can't say I really dig most of what they have on their site now but if the quality is about the same as I got for the price they make a great project guitar. :shrug:
Thanks, ill keep them in mind but will be trying to find one of the semihollow Schecter C1's first. I'm basically looking for a backup of a backup's guitar. For those extremely rare nights where I destroy the strings on my main guitar and then the backup too. :lol:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I wonder whoever thought the idea of a photo finish top was actually a good one? Photo finishes look like complete ass, I'd rather just have a solid colour, or trans finish :lol: I played one Raven West in the store I used to work in and I was very not impressed. I'd go Agile.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Thanks, ill keep them in mind but will be trying to find one of the semihollow Schecter C1's first. I'm basically looking for a backup of a backup's guitar. For those extremely rare nights where I destroy the strings on my main guitar and then the backup too. :lol:
If you're looking at a country gig and you want a hollow body I would HIGHLY recommend taking a look at the Gretsch 5120's. I never would have thought I'd end up with one but when I was looking for a hollow body they just hit all the right notes. Now that I took the plunge I don't regret it a bit. The thing is killer. I have no issues with the stock pickups and it is one of the most comfortable and versatile guitars I have now. It obviously doesn't do metal very well but for nearly every thing else it's awesome. Can't beat the price point.

If you need more twang there is always the TV Jones pups.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're looking at a country gig and you want a hollow body I would HIGHLY recommend taking a look at the Gretsch 5120's. I never would have thought I'd end up with one but when I was looking for a hollow body they just hit all the right notes. Now that I took the plunge I don't regret it a bit. The thing is killer. I have no issues with the stock pickups and it is one of the most comfortable and versatile guitars I have now. It obviously doesn't do metal very well but for nearly every thing else it's awesome. Can't beat the price point.

If you need more twang there is always the TV Jones pups.
I will keep them in mind, not really looking for one of the bigger hollow bodies though, something that is a carved top for sure, but kinda looking for a guitar thats a Tele or Strat shape, but just so happens to also be a semihollow I guess. I know it sounds weird. Basically I am not much of a country guy and feel I need to rebel just a little by having unique (in the country industry) equipment choices. Though "country" really isn't country anymore and there are guys using explorers and shit now so it doesn't really matter anyway. :lol:

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Probably a little more money than you want to spend but I've got a buddy that absolutely loves his Acoustosonic Strat.

It's definitely not your standard gear. He loves it but then he's a little weird that way. :lol: I've played it and can't say it wooed me the way it has him. It was okay but nothing major. Like I said though, I tend to either like my humbuckers or I'm an acoustic purist. :shrug:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts