Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, I'm re-cabling my entire deal. I need good connectors, and some decent cable. This is gonna be a fixed install, and won't change unless I get some drastically new gear or something.

This is probably gonna cause some debate, but I need some suggestions for good connectors, and cable to pick up. I have a local place that can probably get me what I want, but there were a few things i was thinking about getting as well.

What does everyone think about the horrendously expensive planet waves solderless connectors? I have a few from a buy i did a while ago, and they have held up really well over the last 6 months or so, with no sign of ever failing. That said, they're also like $10 each, and the cable kits come with a ridiculous number of right angle plugs, and as it turns out, I only need a couple right angle connectors for this job. The fact that they just screw the cable in makes things easy if I ever have to change anything. Rather than de-soldering, cutting, re- stripping, re-soldering, blah blah blah.

SO! Hit me with suggestions. inb4 google. I've been looking at this for hours already. I just want some advice on products that people have actually used, not website based "i's da best" bullshit.

·
18,790 Posts
I've played with the Planet Waves solderless connectors, we had a sales rep try to get us to carry them at the store I worked at (we were a hi-fi store, though, and did very little pro audio, so it wasn't much use to us). But I did everything I could think of to try to make them fail, even intermittently, and couldn't :yesway:

That said, I'm a whore for Neutrik connectors. I just love them, don't know why :lol:

I've heard excellent stuff about Georg L's as well.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neutrik connectors look nice, and the price is MUCH better than $10 each. Unfortuantely, the only place around here that sells bulk cable has THE absolute worst website in history. it might as well not even be there. That being said, the do sell Mogami and Canare cable. those two seem to be names that come up over and over when people talk about making cables.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I used George L's in my last rack with a Triaxis,2:90, and an Effects Processor. I loved them. They worked flawlessly and sounded absolutely awesome. Being able to make custom lengths makes a real difference in my opinion. I think everything will sound great as long as you use quality connectors and cable. I also have a planet waves cable that I have been using for ever and I love that one as well.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
GeorgeL's is all I use now. I even use them for the long leads between my rack and floorboard, as well as the backup cable to my wireless.

Darren, it's not just about hating to solder. If I have a cable go bad on me at a gig, I can (and have) simply grab the cutters from my toolbox and fix the problem. That really ratchets up the reliability factor, and I always build a certain amount of slack into my patch cables for that very purpose.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I buy my Neutrik connectors and Mogami or Canare cable from Redco Audio - Redco Audio Home Page

That said, cabling a rig with George L's is a lot less of a headache, especially if you hate to solder, like me. ;)
GeorgeL's is all I use now. I even use them for the long leads between my rack and floorboard, as well as the backup cable to my wireless.

Darren, it's not just about hating to solder. If I have a cable go bad on me at a gig, I can (and have) simply grab the cutters from my toolbox and fix the problem. That really ratchets up the reliability factor, and I always build a certain amount of slack into my patch cables for that very purpose.
Completely agree here. If you want to have soldered connections and a lower price, order from Redco (wither Canare or Mogami cable). If you want ease of use and something that's more easily fixed in the field, go with the George L's.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

******* said:
Neutrik connectors and canare cable :yesway:
Canare gs6 and neutrik connectors :agreed:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I prefer the Canare Star Quad myself but thats because it come in more colors and can be used in stereo :yesway:

but its tomato tomAto really

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I use the Canare star quad cable for my stereo cables. People say it's not supposed to be used for guitar because it's intended as a mic cable, but it sounds fine to me. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Kevan wired all of the Jemfest PA using that cable regardless of mono/stereo/XLR and they worked great

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I love Canare cable... it has such a nice feel. I find Mogami to be stiffer and more tangle-prone.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Holy shit....that took FOREVER! over 4 hours to get from my house, out to the ONLY PLACE IN LONDON that sells neutrik connectors, buy my shit, and come back...

London transit FTW

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I use the Canare star quad cable for my stereo cables. People say it's not supposed to be used for guitar because it's intended as a mic cable, but it sounds fine to me. :shrug:
Hmm... This?

Redco Audio - Canare L-4E6S Quad Mic Cable

Could you use it to run a single cable to a few pedals out front? Using one side to send, and one to return?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)darren:phone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Leon said:
Hmm... This?

Redco Audio - Canare L-4E6S Quad Mic Cable

Could you use it to run a single cable to a few pedals out front? Using one side to send, and one to return?
Yup. With splitters, insert cables or dual-mono connectors at both ends you could certainly do that.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts