Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not knowledgable about DI boxes so I figured I would ask around here to see if any of you could fill me in. Lately (past 9 months or so) I've been getting into amp sims/vsts a fair bit. I have a nice interface, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, nothing pro but it sounds great for the prosumer level and there is certainly a noticeable difference from the m-boxes and fast tracks that I've had in the past (for the better). Anyways when I am playing/recording with amp sims I usually go straight into the hi-z input on the interface it sounds pretty good. But lately I've been deciding to go into the strobostomp first (mainly so I don't have to unplug stuff retuning between takes :lol:) and then using the DI function of the strobostomp with an XLR cable to go into my interface. For some reason this makes everything sound cleaner and better overall. Could anyone stipulate as to why this is?

Also, is the Strobostomp considered a "Professional level" DI? I haven't done research, but how does it compare to the DIs that producers use to save DIs before reamping? I'm assuming that being a reasonably expensive unit it preserves the tone at least moderately well? I'm not looking for the best quality, but if there is something signifigantly better at a prosumer price I would be interested in getting something like that.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Crooks!

The radial JDI is what a lot of guys (gearslutz/sneap forum) advise for a modest price point (can't say I'm in the market for a $500 DI :lol:), I would definitely be interested in getting something like that if the quality is markedly better than the Peterson. I think Mike thinks pretty highly of his Strobostomp, think he mentioned using it for a DI live (for acoustics? IIRC) in another thread and finding the quality satisfactory. I'll just stick with the strobostomp for now since I can conveniently use one unit to tune/DI to my interface/output to my amp for monitoring at the same time.

I've heard that a lot of interfaces have great sounding XLR ins and less well designed Hi Z ins but I'm not a recording guy, so I don't know how true that is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.