Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to dig into recording direct with the AFX, but this applies to any setup, really.

As I understand it, I run a dry signal into my bus, then route it out through a bus with (amp_model_whatever) on it. So the signal coming into my software (say, Reaper) is essentially clean and gainless, and the gain is added after the fact, correct?

Then if I want to play something once, and hear it with a few different amp models, I just change the amp model and the signal path stays the same?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going AFX -> MOTU 8Pre -> Firewire -> Reaper right now. I assume I'd have to send the, uh, send, back into the AFX, and the return back into the bus?

[action=Chris]hasn't RTFM yet, keeping that in mind[/action]

·
Grumpy Old Fart
1,025 Posts
This is how I do it. I have a tracking patch set up that has a line of shunts all the across the matrix. This is the pure direct signal. I also have a path with amp, fx, cab, etc. that I use to monitor with. I use the digital s/pdif i/o on my Digi002 rack and the Axe Fx.

I send both into Protools on separate tracks and record them both. I mute the DI track. I record the song or part or whatever.

Then I set the bus on recorded DI back down the s/pdif back into the Axe Fx into my recording patch with only has the amp, fx, cab, etc. I can either replace the the track I used to monitor with or add another with the re amp.

For what you're doing you'd probably be best to use the effects loop block in the Axe Fx. Start a patch with the effects loop in the first spot on the grid. Connect out 2 to your MOTU. Send the MOTU back into the Axe Fx (as an insert on the reaper track). Build your amp, cab, fx, etc from there after the fx loop block in the Axe Fx. Make sense?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
For what you're doing you'd probably be best to use the effects loop block in the Axe Fx. Start a patch with the effects loop in the first spot on the grid. Connect out 2 to your MOTU. Send the MOTU back into the Axe Fx (as an insert on the reaper track). Build your amp, cab, fx, etc from there after the fx loop block in the Axe Fx. Make sense?
Is there a reason to send the DI through the Axe-FX at all? Couldn't you plug straight into the MOTU and then send from MOTU to Axe-FX? :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I set up a patch that had the left side the DI signal and the right a monitor signal. L out into interface, R out into amp to monitor.

Then, out of interface to in of axe. Out of axe to in of interface. Set up ins/outs accordingly.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Just for the record, I'm not a fan of reamping. Every recording I've ever re-amped came out sounding odd because every amp acts differently and in different timing.

Just play the part.

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
Just for the record, I'm not a fan of reamping. Every recording I've ever re-amped came out sounding odd because every amp acts differently and in different timing.

Just play the part.
What DI box, and what reamp box are you using, Vince? Furthermore, what interface? From how I understand it, reamping back through a real amp setup is going to be sensitive to every link in that chain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.