Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Drew's place last night, and his Reaper setup is all sorts of clean. So this morning, I've spent some time trying to get my own default setup dialed in. I know there are plenty of gurus on here who know this software extremely well, so hopefully you can give me some pointers and show me if/where I could be doing things better/more efficiently.

Here's my default load project, running at 88200.

Tracks are as follows:

1: AFX Left 1 (First rhythm track, left stereo from AFX, panned left)
2: AFX Right 1 (First rhythm track, right stereo from AFX, panned right)
3: AFX Left 2 (Second rhythm track, left stereo from AFX, panned left)
4: AFX Right 2 (Second rhythm track, right stereo from AFX, panned right)
5. Bass (Stereo from AFX, on center)
6. Cond Left: (left SD condenser in X/Y, 80% left)
7. Cond Right: (right SD condenser in X/Y, 80% right)
8. Lead 1: (Stereo from AFX, on center)
9. Lead 2: (Stereo from AFX, on center)
10. EZDrummer's MIDI
11. Kick
12. Snare (top and bottom, no bleed)
13: Hats
14: Top Toms
15: Bottom Toms
16: Overhead Mic
17: Room Mic
18: Comp Mix

Busses:

19: Rhythm Guitar (in from Tracks 1,2,3,4)
20: Lead Guitar (in from tracks 8,9)
21. Bass Guitar (in from track 5)
22. Condensers (in from tracks 6,7)
23. Drums (in from all EZDrummer tracks)

Notes:

• I disable the Master/Parent send on everything, so that the each track goes only to it's respective bus before heading to the master.
  • Anything panned when recording (eg: rhythm guitars) is panned both on the track, and on the receive bus.
  • The only things that I have grouped are the Rhythm guitars straight in from the AFX, since condensers tend to need different levels, and I set those on a Presonus Bluetube (that Drew was nice enough to loan me).
Any input on making this more efficient, please fire away. :metal:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Hell, your stock template is now more pimp than mine. :lol: I should do that.

In addition to track names, did you also save which input on your interface they default to?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. But not the first time. :lol:

My plan now is to get my drums dialed in (with a second track for Superior, for the sole reason that I can get better kick/hat sounds out of it) with compression/effects, and not have to fuck with them anymore.

You disable your master outs on individual tracks as well, correct? I always wondered why I had so much bleed. I also had to turn the bleed off on the snare to tighten it up - it was shitting all over my overhead. Definitely helps a bunch (to my ear, anyway, but we'll see how it works in a full mix).

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Maybe throw an instance of ReaEQ on each track as well?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hell, your stock template is now more pimp than mine. :lol: I should do that.

In addition to track names, did you also save which input on your interface they default to?
The next thing you need is a bigger monitor man. I can't believe you do all of your work on that 17". :lol:

This is what I look at:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Hmm. Debatable - I'm usually just lazy and EQ the bus, but if you're using different sounds on each channel then the channels are probably better.

And yeah, I totally do. :lol: I have monitor envy. :(

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
You think it's better to EQ the individual tracks, or the busses?
this depends, i do by each track then check the bus to see if some eq would benefit the entire mix in relation to the mix with everything, not just the bus itself. usually the snare will get some eq as my snare has a ping to it i don't like so much. I also record real drums. my overheads get a lot of high pass because i like to only have cymbals not the entire kit from there as i close mic my shit.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
:lol: It looks like GarageBand, Gay Pride Edition.™ :D

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Here, let me resize it so that it looks like it would on your monitor, see if you like it better. :fawk:
:rofl:

That's pretty accurate. :(

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
lol Chris

Any great setup and I agree dual screens are the way to go. I use dual screens at work so I can see the benefit for a mixing station.

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Here, let me resize it so that it looks like it would on your monitor, see if you like it better. :fawk:

I like it. How do you enable the icons for the different instruments in the tracks? I could see that being kind of handy just for a visual aid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts