Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: BlackBerry8130/4.5.0.89 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

I opened up reaper last night to mix a song I have been working on for weeks and I have no sound. No file I open has sound. I have tried every input and output setting in the preferences. What the fuck did I do wrong!?

·
should really be working.
366 Posts
First thing I'd do is try to determine if the problem is actually coming from Reaper, or some other source. Are you using internal audio, or an audio interface? Have you plugged any USB devices lately? First time I plugged in a GSP1101 it took over my audio. I didn't even realize it doubled as an interface.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Are you getting sound from anything else you play back, outside of Reaper?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Yeah, there's a whole host of things that could be wrong, but that's a good starting point. Worst case, reinstall the interface drivers like it's new...

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: BlackBerry8130/4.5.0.89 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

Drew said:
Are you getting sound from anything else you play back, outside of Reaper?
I use a toneport to record with headphones but switch to internal to mix. I have never had a problem doing this before. I get sound from everything but reaper.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Check your driver settings. You need to give us some more info on what the exact setup is, both on your machine and in Reaper for us to really be able to help troubleshoot it.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Chris said:
Check your driver settings. You need to give us some more info on what the exact setup is, both on your machine and in Reaper for us to really be able to help troubleshoot it.
Will do as soon as /i get home. Typing on this blackberry pearl sucks ass.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ill attempt to do some. I'm running windows 7. I have been using a trial for breakaway audio which takes over as a sound device and enhances your speakers so when I switch to internal I have been switching to that until last night I disabled it in atempt to fix it. Use toneport but usually don't use podfarm and only vst plugins. The toneport is hooked to headphones and then speakers to the computer itself. Internal soundcard is realtek audio.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I use a toneport to record with headphones but switch to internal to mix. I have never had a problem doing this before. I get sound from everything but reaper.
Ok, so it most likely is a Reaper setting issue rather than a driver one.

Could you maybe screenprint your audio preferences settings?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Couple thoughts...

Screenshot 1 - is your Toneport hooked up when you try to play back like this?

Screenshot 2 - check your system, what's your "Primary Sound Driver" on Windows? It's not somehow the Toneport is it?

Both shots - I don't remember if pulling up a menu would do this, but I think it shouldn't, so the thing that jumps out is at the top corner of Reaper it says "audio device closed." Do you have ANYTHING else that makes sound open? Say, a file paused in Window Media Player, or some other app that could be using your sound card? If something else is using it and prioritized over Reaper, even if that something is paused or not currently making sound, that could give you a problem...

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Couple thoughts...

Screenshot 1 - is your Toneport hooked up when you try to play back like this?

Screenshot 2 - check your system, what's your "Primary Sound Driver" on Windows? It's not somehow the Toneport is it?

Both shots - I don't remember if pulling up a menu would do this, but I think it shouldn't, so the thing that jumps out is at the top corner of Reaper it says "audio device closed." Do you have ANYTHING else that makes sound open? Say, a file paused in Window Media Player, or some other app that could be using your sound card? If something else is using it and prioritized over Reaper, even if that something is paused or not currently making sound, that could give you a problem...
It says that everytime I bring up the audio preferences and goes away when I close it, everything is closed other than reaper, the toneport is always hooked up, and it worked this way before.

Edit
I have also noticed that all of my peak meters are working accept for the master? I just uninstalled/reinstalled Reaper.

And now its only doing it on this one song...just tried a different song and it played perfectly. Progress!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Edit
I have also noticed that all of my peak meters are working accept for the master? I just uninstalled/reinstalled Reaper.
Moot point now that it's fixed, but to me this suggests you accidentally routed your master bus to something other than your main out.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Moot point now that it's fixed, but to me this suggests you accidentally routed your master bus to something other than your main out.
Its pretty strange, I think its a faulty VST or something, I have to close the file and open it several times before it will actually play sound. Sometimes the Master has no meter, sometimes the master does (both with no sound). I am just leaving it up period until I get everything recorded and mixed. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts