Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason that this intrigues me (pardon the bad pun) is that I have a billion neat riffs that aren't actually parts of songs. It'd be kind of fun to open up like 3 dozen of your favorite riffs, and then just paste away like a motherfucker seeing what kind of odd shit you could come up with.

Which you could do in any program, really, but it seems like this (which looks to be geared at getting the techno/electronica crowd) would just make it easier.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Reason is a lot of fun to work with too. I did a project with it way back in freshman year of college and had a blast (result wasn't half bad either!)

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I've got that "Reason Adapted" shit that came with the Line 6 UX2, and I just really don't get that shit... It is very complicated for me.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
The reason that this intrigues me (pardon the bad pun) is that I have a billion neat riffs that aren't actually parts of songs. It'd be kind of fun to open up like 3 dozen of your favorite riffs, and then just paste away like a motherfucker seeing what kind of odd shit you could come up with.
How do you think I write my songs? :lol:

I keep a library of riffs on the computer and whenever I get a cool one I go back to it. I'm using a couple riffs from 2006 right now with some new ones I wrote, and I have a few pieces from back in 2003-2004 that I haven't released that I'm using too. It's good to have a bunch of shit to throw together and never let a good idea go to waste :yesway:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Sounds like your standard looping function. Garageband has it :lol: Ableton Live would probably be able to do similar things to.
Albeton Live is all about looping on the fly. Well it was, until they tried to make it a full blown DAW to take on Sonar and Logic.

If composing with small recorded snippets is your thing. Definitely give Ableton a try. The way they set up these "trigger pads" on each track is really unique. There's also hardware controllers by Akai that allow you to trigger on the fly and record it as a live performance.

·
18,790 Posts
Albeton Live is all about looping on the fly. Well it was, until they tried to make it a full blown DAW to take on Sonar and Logic.

If composing with small recorded snippets is your thing. Definitely give Ableton a try. The way they set up these "trigger pads" on each track is really unique. There's also hardware controllers by Akai that allow you to trigger on the fly and record it as a live performance.
:agreed: I used it (triggered with a Behringer FCB1010) for my live sampling with my old band (a setup idea I stole from seeing Organical :lol: ). It's a really flexible sampling/looping program, but I could see it being useful for songwriting by giving you another way of fleshing out your arrangements.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts

Which you could do in any program, really, but it seems like this (which looks to be geared at getting the techno/electronica crowd) would just make it easier.
You would have LOVED Sonic Foundry Acid - 2.0 was the first recording program I ever used, and this is basically how it worked.

Are you switched over to Reaper yet? If so, next time you're down I should give you a crash course on editing in Reaper. It's pretty damned awesome.

·
18,790 Posts
You would have LOVED Sonic Foundry Acid - 2.0 was the first recording program I ever used, and this is basically how it worked.
:agreed: And that's exactly the looping functionality that's been integrated into Pro Tools since version 7. I believe it even recognizes Acid loops, but I may be wrong. I'll have to try, since I have all my old Acid loops laying around :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Are you switched over to Reaper yet? If so, next time you're down I should give you a crash course on editing in Reaper. It's pretty damned awesome.
GarageBand pretty much is everything Acid was, but is more stable and is lighter on CPU. Furthermore, you can record clips and then save them as Apple loops, allowing you to come back later and compose song ideas out of various blocks. If you record an E riff with the settings to E, then save it as an Apple loop, you can then drag it into a D song and it will transpose it so you can see what it'll sound like in that key, as well as seeing how it fits with everything else.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I THINK Reaper works the same way, but I honestly haven't really tried. I mostly worked by recording riffs and looping them back then because, well, one that I've never been a particularly great rhythm player, and two, because my CPU couldn't take recording much more than 30 seconds to a minute at a time. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I THINK Reaper works the same way, but I honestly haven't really tried. I mostly worked by recording riffs and looping them back then because, well, one that I've never been a particularly great rhythm player, and two, because my CPU couldn't take recording much more than 30 seconds to a minute at a time. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Jeff - you realize this was 1999, right? On a laptop? Back when PCs really DID suck for multimedia? :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Jeff - you realize this was 1999, right? On a laptop? Back when PCs really DID suck for multimedia? :lol:
Nevermind, I'm an idiot and wasn't thinking of the time frame. :p

EDIT

You still need an iMac though. Chris said so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts