Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ESP / Ibanez
2,579 Posts
Oh yeah, i've always loved Reb Beach, even his stuff with Winger. I think he's definitely one of the best. A friend of mine saw him live when he was with Dokken -I heard Don Dokken liked Reb Beach a little more than George Lynch too. :eek2:

I've always wanted an Ibanez RBM too. :D

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
Tru dat! Reb is the man. I was actually listening to Winger's Pull the other night. Make fun of me if you want. :fawk:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
:agreed:

I've been a closet Winger fan for years and Reb is awesome. I didn't see him with Dokken but I can see him being able to pull off George with no problems.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
People can bust on Kip Winger all they want, but the band Winger was full of monster players. Try playing "Seventeen" sometime. It is actually pretty fucking hard.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I was lucky enough to see a Reb Beach clinic back in '91 or '92 at a local music store. The dude is a monster player, and a super-nice guy. I was very impressed with his improv abilities over the pre-recorded tracks he had with him, too - people would ask him questions and he'd demonstrate using different modes/scales over the changes on the fly.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I've always dug Reb's tone, phrasing and sense of melody. I love the way he seamlessly integrates really fluid tapping into his licks.

All of the solo pieces in Headed for a Heartbreak were just gut-wrenching, but the outro parts starting around 3:15 still give me goosebumps.

And i LOVE his Pensa-Suhr with the Koa body, rosewood neck and pau ferro fretboard. :yum: Glad to see his Suhr signature is almost identical, without the stupid mirrored wedge of a pickguard he got hung up on for a while.

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
The outro solo pieces in Headed for a Heartbreak were just gut-wrenching.

I actually had a chance to see Winger in 89 with Dream Theater opening at a club in New Haven, CT, but I opted to stay home and watch TV. It was about two months later when I discovered how good DT was. :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I actually had a chance to see Winger in 89 with Dream Theater opening at a club in New Haven, CT, but I opted to stay home and watch TV. It was about two months later when I discovered how good DT was. :eek:
Holy shit that would've been awesome! I've seen Winger live a few times and it was pretty awesome. :yesway:

Speaking of "Headed For A Heartbreak", the outro solos on this live version are killer! Both Reb and Rod Morgenstein(the drummer) are just going off! Starts at about 4:00

It's a great DVD, by the way. :metal:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Holy shit that would've been awesome! I've seen Winger live a few times and it was pretty awesome. :yesway:
Off Topic....

Fuck! I just found some info on that show. Here is the set I missed from DT that night:

Early Dream Theater Shows
2/13/1989 New Haven, CT

(previous show) (return to list of shows) (next show)

Venue: Toad's Place
Other Act(s): Winger headlined

Set List:
Star Wars Imperial March (intro tape)
1. A Fortune in Lies
2. Status Seeker
3. Afterlife
4. The Killing Hand
5. The Crimson Sunrise/
6. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
7. Ytsejam

Vocals: Charlie Dominici
Guitar: John Petrucci
Keyboards: Kevin Moore
Bass: John Myung
Drums: Mike Portnoy

:mad:

·
Disposable Hero
266 Posts
Reb Beach is one of those monster guitarists that unfortunately gets overlooked all too often.

Another guy that never gets enough credit is John Sykes. Great player, tone, etc...going all the way back to his NWOBHM days. I was just listening to the Tygers of Pan Tang "Spellbound" album a few nights ago.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Reb has always been one of my influences since back in the Winger days. I saw them with the Bullet Boys opening for Cinderella on the Long Cold Winter tour. I don't remember what year that was right off, but it was like '89 or '90 I guess. That was one of my all time favorite concerts ever. Reb got up there and did one monster guitar solo...seems like he was soloing for like 20min. or so. Just awesome.

I've also got Reb's Cutting Loose video on VHS. My mom got it for my birthday one year way back when. It's kinda cheesy, but you do catch a few interesting things.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:bump:
Me watching Reb solo on the Winger DVD...(notice me throwing the horns in the beginning):

Reb still rules! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts