Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Smokestack Lightning
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you may know, I play drums in a psychedelic doom metal band called Clorange. I've been using Vic Firth 5A's with the nylon tip and I'm breaking sticks left and right. Seeing as it's doom, hitting lighter really isn't an option so I need something with a stronger shaft. Any recommendations?

Here's a vid of us if you guys would like to check it out as well.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Try out some Oak sticks if you can find them. If you still break the oak 5As a lot then the best thing is to go to a thicker stick. I always loved thin sticks such as the 5As, actually for a while I played 7As but I realized the problem was that I was too hard a hitter for those thin sticks and had to switch to something a bit thicker.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Try out some Oak sticks if you can find them.
This. I think the Vic's are hickory? They do tend to snap if you're doing a lot of heavy hitting and rimshots.

Try ProMark oak sticks. If you are going through something like their 747BN's. Dunno what to tell you. Louisville Sluggers perhaps?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
My drummer is really pounding it and switched to the ProMark Oak sticks after he got sick of snapping some Firth something-or-others. So far so good, but it's only been three rehearsals with them.

Sometimes I turn around and see him using the fat end of the sticks too. Thank god there's an 8x10 in our rehearsal room and I own earplugs, otherwise we'd have a bit of an issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts