Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been pretty happy thus far with my Rectoverb. It's much more versatile than my old F-30, yet I do kinda miss the smoothness of the F-30. So, that leads me to trying out some tubes in V1 to see if I can tame to Rectoverb. I'm thinking a lower gain tube, mainly because after 2:00 on the Gain knob it gets entirely too fizzy, so I'd like a bit more usable gain. But most importantly I'm looking to smooth out the overall sharp attack and presence of the Modern/Red channel.

FWIW to rectoverb users, here's my default high gain setting:

RG7421 w/ Evo7
Red/Vintage
Gain: 1:30-2:00
Treble: 2:00
Mid: 9:00
Bass:12:00
Presence: 9:00
Reverb: off
Master: 10:00
Output: any

It came up with this setting in an effort to try to cop the voicing of Modern mode, but with the smoother tone in Vintage. It's close to the tone in my head, but I wish I could get Modern mode to be not so fucking out of control... :nuts:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
i keep my gain at about 1 to 2 o'clock. its plenty for me and im a big gain head. So to my point, do you really think its necessary to go past the 2 o'clock mark really?

i cant really reccomend a tube because i havnt changed the pre amp tubes with new ones since i'v had mine

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gain knob is kinda touchy, and subtle adjustments make for relatively large changes. I'd like to get more usable gain range as well as smoothing out the tone.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
what about dropping PAF-style pickups into the 7421? or at least lowering your evo - that should smooth thigns out a bit.

you'll want a 12AU7 or 12AT7 - i forget which is lower on the grading scale.

whats wrong with simply turning the gain down though...?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
1) Don't go past 1:00 on modern. Ever. Yes, I mean it.
2) Grab a Tung Sol V1. The Ruby Mesa uses is fuzzy sounding. You don't need to lower the gain of the tube, since you don't need all the gain on tap. The other half of the fuzz problem goes away when you start turning up the power mp output.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
1) Don't go past 1:00 on modern. Ever. Yes, I mean it.
2) Grab a Tung Sol V1. The Ruby Mesa uses is fuzzy sounding. You don't need to lower the gain of the tube, since you don't need all the gain on tap. The other half of the fuzz problem goes away when you start turning up the power mp output.
#1 - There are some interesting tones past 1:00 gain in modern, but more for recording textures than a usable overall tone.

#2 - :agreed: :jj: :agreed:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
and turn up your mids to at least 11 oclock!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what about dropping PAF-style pickups into the 7421? or at least lowering your evo - that should smooth thigns out a bit.

you'll want a 12AU7 or 12AT7 - i forget which is lower on the grading scale.

whats wrong with simply turning the gain down though...?
I may swap out the Evo, but that's another discussion entirely.

I'll looking to some 12AU7 and 12AT7's...

The thing about turning the gain down on a Recto IMO is sustain suffers. You still get the aggressive attack and crunch, but then the notes sort of die off. It's a much different feel than my F-30 (think Mark series type gain/saturation) and I'm still in the process of getting used to it. I've only had my recto for a month or 2.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
You have a boost out front?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have a boost out front?
Nope.

budda said:
and turn up your mids to at least 11 oclock!
I realize that may seem low, but Vintage is much more middy than Modern, and those settings were my attempt to get the Modern tone in Vintage mode. IME, lower the mids in Vintage mode isn't a bad thing. FWIW, here's my Red/Modern tone settings; I swear, I'm not a mid scooping wanker ;):

Gain: 1:30
Treble: 10:00
Mid: 1:00
Bass: 12:00
Presence: off
Master: 9:00
Output: as loud as my neighbors can stand

A word about a Recto's gain knob: The way I set it is chunk down on the low B/E strings and listen for the point where the fizz starts. I then back it off a touch. From there I'm good to go, so my gain settings reflect THAT position - obviously that changes from guitar to guitar/amp to amp, etc...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Throw a tube screamer out front, gain off, level maxed, tone around 9:00. It makes a world of difference.
I remembering you recommending that in my thread when I first got the Rectoverb. I'm not a boost type of guy as I prefer guitar-cable-amp simplicity, but if a tube swap doesn't make my pants tight I'll give this a shot. :yesway:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
You NEED to run a boost in front of a Recto to get the tone you're looking for. I wasn't much of a boost kind of guy until I bought my Recto.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Both. Tube Screamer + Tung Sol is the recipe for Recto happiness.

Reactions: DanDetora

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do yous run into noise problem boosting a Recto? Back in the day when I had my Mesa V-Twin rack I used a Metal Zone to boost it (same idea: gain low, level high) it hissed more than I like. Good tone but I had to get a noise gate to control it. I also found it annoying having to switch off the boost while simultaneously switching to the clean channel. It just was more trouble than it was worth, hence my aversion to boosts altogether. :confused:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts