Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a 1x12 again, and I'm currently in the process of researching my options. I had a avatar contemporary (That I foolishly traded towards a 4x12 :lol:) w/v30 that I liked quite a bit. I like mesa cabinets quite a bit, so I'm looking towards quite a few 1x12s in their range. Could anyone enlighten me as to what the difference in construction is between something like the recto 1x12 and the thiele 1x12? Ideally I think I would like a fully closed back, but I see some metal guys using 1x12s with partially closed backs and getting good results, any opinions on that?

Speakerwise I like v30s, but I'm open to anything really. Are there any speakers that sound signifigantly better than v30s at lower volumes? I'm looking for something that works well with 100-120 watt heads, but can also sound good at lower volumes. It would also be a great bonus if my K-tre fit perfectly on top of the cab :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Thiele 1x12 with EVM-12L. Either Mesa or Boogafunk. Speaker is rated for lots of power and in an enclosure specifically designed for it.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I have a closed-back 112, I think it's got the C90 but I'm not 100% positive right now. It sounds pretty good in a jam scenario and takes my roadster well :)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
If those Widebody 1x12s are the same model as the one Roger has, they are impossibly, unbelievably bassy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the widebody 1x12 open back and 1x12 theile. Both with stock C90s.

The open back is both looser and tighter at the same time. Loose in that the speaker is undampened by a closed back, but tight in that it has no bottom end to slow it down. Good for cleans and leads... not so good for rhythm guitar unless you're going for some classic overdrive tones.

The theile is a little monster. It has the thump that the open back lacks and the port reinforces the bottom end, giving the impression that the cab is bigger than it is. Additionally, the port acts as a second sound source, so you don't get that 'boxy' sound you typically get when listening to a single speaker. Lastly, the theile's bottom end is balanced by a reasonably strong top end... so it's not some sort of dark, muffled sounding bass box.

I usually stack them under a Mark V and I use them for everything from blues to metal. I do use the Theile on it's own, but the open back is too boxy on it's own.

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
I have a Mesa 1x12 Stiletto with a V30 that I use as an extension for my .50 Cal+ combo, and it's very tight, excellent for 7 & 8 string. Nice and light too...I also got sick of schlepping 4x12's, and this works really well with a 50w amp.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I freakin' LOVE my Thieles and will probably never get rid of them. I have one with the EVM12L and one with the C90. My only complaint is that you really need to be standing at least 15' away from them to use them well as monitors... they have a pretty long throw. They mic up really well, though. About 90% of ALL of the guitars on the latest Organical album were tracked through that speaker.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I freakin' LOVE my Thieles and will probably never get rid of them. I have one with the EVM12L and one with the C90. My only complaint is that you really need to be standing at least 15' away from them to use them well as monitors... they have a pretty long throw. They mic up really well, though. About 90% of ALL of the guitars on the latest Organical album were tracked through that speaker.
Did you mic just the speaker? Or the speaker and port?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
We had a close mic right on the grille for the speaker, and another mic about a foot or two back to capture the full impact. I think we mostly just used the close mic in the recordings.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Mesa Thieles 1x12 are pretty awesome. The C90 isnt a bad speaker, but you could always swap that out for a v30. If you want something with a v30 out of the box I think Avatar is the only company making one right now thats "mass produced"

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
If i were going to swap out the C90, it would be for one of the re-issue EVM-12Ls. The Thiele cab was actually engineered around that driver.

The C90 is a little more harsh sounding, but could soften up a bit over time. My EVM-12L is just a tiny little bit smoother and warmer, some of which could likely be accounted for by its age and being more broken in.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
If i were going to swap out the C90, it would be for one of the re-issue EVM-12Ls. The Thiele cab was actually engineered around that driver.

The C90 is a little more harsh sounding, but could soften up a bit over time. My EVM-12L is just a tiny little bit smoother and warmer, some of which could likely be accounted for by its age and being more broken in.
Also probably because the heavy magnet and cone structure make it less good at kicking out highs till you really push it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts