Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. Looking for a combo amp, something that doesn't sound completely shitty. That's the number one concern.
It would be nice if I could record with it and get some better tones than garage band offers. Bluetooth would be cool, but not a must.
My budget is aboot ₽500 Canadian rubles

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
If I didn't used VSTs the Yamaha would be my choice. Dont know know what they did for that thing to sound Huge but they managed it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I'll look into what's suggested.
The cube seems cool. Do they have a modle more geared towards metal?
I'm also looking into the Blackstar HT-5, although it's more than I want to spend.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I'm also looking into the Blackstar HT-5, although it's more than I want to spend.
The HT-5 sounds great. I loved the one I had.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Tech-21 Trademark 30 is worth a look, too.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Yamaha THR10, choose whatever model suits your style best
The HT-5 sounds great. I loved the one I had.
Tech-21 Trademark 30 is worth a look, too.
:agreed:

I would add that the Vox combos (VT's or AD's) are very solid, quite versatile, light, and can take a beating. They make great practice amps, coming from a guy who now practices through a Roadking :lol:

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Here's a lengthy metal-centric overview of the older Cube 80XL:

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
That's a good find, and within the value of the OP ($450 CAD + shipping), and a decent small tube combo amp.

I guess it all comes down to what you wants from it though, small tube amps are great if you want an all-tube tone but they tend to be more powerful than what people like me need when practicing at home, I can't crank it at all so I can definitely vouch for the Roland Cube which is a really high quality product and versatile, and the Peavey Vypyr which is extremely versatile and low-cost alternative.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only thing keeping me from picking up a HT-5 is the price. I'd happily spend more, but I can get a used 5150 for $600. It's not exactly what I need, I already have a few big amps. One of hem is a Blackstar metal 100 that I absolutely love. However, If I'm going to spend that much on an amp, I think we can agree you can get a lot more amp for that money.
I've looked in my area for a used one with no luck.
I'm going to check into the Vox and the HT-1 as well and possibly the vyper.
I guess now all I need to do is go to the music store and see what I like best out of what's suggested.
Thanks again guys!

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
I played thru one of these a few weeks back and it's every bit as awesome as my 40, but (obviously) pushes a LOT more sound.

Blackstar ID:Core 100W 2x10 Guitar Combo Amp | Guitar Center

Gave me a great roar at low volume, and carried that well as I turned it up.

I'd bet you could pick one up used for about $200...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Only one choice as far as I'm concerned, the THR series. I've got 2 x Yamaha THR10's, one regular model and one 'X' model and they're both amazing. I had a THR5 before that too and it was much the same.

To be honest I hardly use my Kemper nowadays...just the THR10/THR10X most of the time.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Only one choice as far as I'm concerned, the THR series. I've got 2 x Yamaha THR10's, one regular model and one 'X' model and they're both amazing. I had a THR5 before that too and it was much the same.

To be honest I hardly use my Kemper nowadays...just the THR10/THR10X most of the time.
Before I bought my Blackstar I seriously considered one of those, the the 'Star was a lot less. Still really intrigued by those, though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts