Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I want:

Under $900
With Firewire
Windows 7
17" screen
numberpad
decent processor (2.0 Ghz or higher)

I'm seeing a lot of Sony Vaio and Asus in that price range. I'm traveling more and just need to be more mobile. Plus it'd be great to be able to record with it, hence the firewire. Any ideas?

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
BEWARE!

If you're using FW for audio, the FW on modern laptops is very, very often sub-par, and may affect performance. It's not really audio quality, more consumer. Those in the know recommend that one use only Texas Instruments firewire on a laptop. There are other, cheaper FW chipsets used, like Ricoh, and apparently, Ricoh ain't too suave.

You can google the TI Firewire issues and see for yourself.

If the FW ain't for audio, disregard what I said!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Lenovos are (iirc) basically Thinkpads, which in my experience were always excellent, though it's been a while since I've used one.
Now they are total pieces of shit, which is why we switched to Dells at work.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I'm looking at getting a few new laptops here in the near future...

I've always had really good luck with Dell, but I've also heard some pretty good things about Lenovos.

I never cared for the IBM Thinkpads too much, but most of the ones I used were older models.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I loved my Dell D810, the thing was an absolute tank, but unfortunately my work forces us to turn machines over every two years. From there I went to an 820 which was a little flimsier but still nice, and now I have the 6500.

The old Thinkpads had awesome keyboard feel. :(

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I have three Dell laptops (Inspiron 8200, 9100, and 9200) here, but they are really starting to get old; I would definitely be open to trying something new, though.

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
I bought my Fiancee a Dell XPS 1530 and we have had no issues with it short a battery but it is a few years old now. The support on the XPS series is also a big step above the rest of the dell Stuff. Much shorter queue times etc.

Dell XPS M1530 Review

This was a few years ago but I am sure there is something very similar now.

... I am a douchenozzle and did not read the specs you were looking for. This is only a 15" but I am sure they have a similar in a 17...I am not sure on the price.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
We're still deploying Thinkpads, which are great machines. A ton deployed, and the worst we've had is a couple bad hard drives and a bad keyboard.

I'll continue to think Dells are shitboxes, just because of my experience with them, but YMMV.

If I were buying a personal machine that's not a Mac, it'd be a Thinkpad T410.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I loved my Dell D810, the thing was an absolute tank, but unfortunately my work forces us to turn machines over every two years. From there I went to an 820 which was a little flimsier but still nice, and now I have the 6500.

They still do, Thinkpads are tanks, absolute work horses. Have you seen the w700? That thing is absurd.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Justin Bailey said:

They still do, Thinkpads are tanks, absolute work horses. Have you seen the w700? That thing is absurd.
We have two of those. They are nice, but just ridiculously big. Most of the users needing that type of machine prefer the W510, with the quad core.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts