Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a new laptop. What's good out there? I don't mind Dell and HP, but I'm kind of out of the loop as far as technology with chipsets, etc, goes.

Is now a good time? Is there some good stuff coming out soon? Will good stuff now be getting cheaper with the release of some bleeding edge technology?

I have to have Windows 7 Pro on it, there's no getting around that one. Other than that, I'm game for whatever.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Not that advanced, it's for my girlfriend!

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I got my girlfriend a Dell Inspiron 14R and we both like it a lot. I want to get the 15R

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I'd get a Thinkpad T series. In my experience after a ton of them distributed over the last three years, they're the only windows laptop worth a shit.
The pile of broken ones in my storage room beg to differ, sir.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I bought a Gateway back in November and just love it. They recently upgraded the model from the i3 that I have to the i5 chip, and it's available for about $700.

Here's the model for sale:

http://www.beachaudio.com/Acer/Wrj02-007-p-439868.html

And here's Gateway's sales pitch for it:
http://www.gateway.com/programs/nvseries/index.php?cmpid=cphm_bnr_nv

Drawbacks: Windows Home Premium, integrated graphics

Other than those two flaws, it's a perfect box. Comes with a drive that's DVD RW and BluRay with a 16:9 screen, HDMI out, and of course a dedicated number pad (which I require).

It's my recording studio now and I love it.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought a Gateway back in November and just love it. They recently upgraded the model from the i3 that I have to the i5 chip, and it's available for about $700.

Here's the model for sale:

Gateway Nv59c 396.24mm Led Notebook - Core I5 I5-480m 2660000000hz 1366 X 768 Wxga Display - 2147483648byte Ram - 687194767360byte Hdd - Webcam - Windows 7 Home Premium - Hdmi - Acer Lx-wrj02-007 (lx.

And here's Gateway's sales pitch for it:
Gateway Official Site: Computers - Notebooks - NV Series Laptops

Drawbacks: Windows Home Premium, integrated graphics

Other than those two flaws, it's a perfect box. Comes with a drive that's DVD RW and BluRay with a 16:9 screen, HDMI out, and of course a dedicated number pad (which I require).

It's my recording studio now and I love it.
That looks pretty nice as well; like you said, the only drawbacks are the Windows Home Premium and integrated graphics. I'm looking at Win7 Pro and a decent graphics card.

Some of the HP's are looking pretty nice.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
To each their own. Out of all the R61's, T61's, T61p's, R400's, T400's, T410's, W510's, and W710's, I've had three that needed repair; two bad hard drives, one with a bad keyboard.
You're lucky. We're a small company, so the most we had at one time was fifteen of them, and five of them had something major happen in one year.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
We've had these debates before, and there are few things that we've come to a consensus on :lol:

"The products you like suck, and the products that I like rule." Is pretty much how it goes...

(Seriously check out the new Dells, and the Asus')

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I'm just going by my experience. :shrug: IBM Thinkpads were my number one recommendation, but I do not like what Lenovo has done with them. Now, I recommend Dell.

I think we can all agree that Gateway sucks.

·

745 Posts
New Acer laptops are actually on par with Asus ones, so you might want to check on them too, i.e. Acer Timeline X is a pretty nice one, you get great battery life (up to 6 hours) ,Ati Radeon HD 5650 and (depending on the price) i3 or i5 processor.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts