Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I desperately need a new router.

Needs to handle xbox live connected through Ethernet, and two laptops on wireless/Ethernet simultaneously without lagging shit up for everyone. Wireless range to cover an average sized apartment as well.

:yesway:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I like my LinkSys. It can handle P2P activity a desktop PC while a laptop is surfing and a PS3 is running. Whatever model I have surely isn't available anymore, but it's decent software and hardware, and inexpensive.

EDIT: model is WRT54G. What Mike/BigM555 has. Great router but I don't think it's got the latest standards.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
I've got no problem at all with my WRT-54G but you're probably looking for something more up to date. I've recently been researching a router that I can set up as a wireless bridge to stream video throughout the house. The D-Link DIR-825 came highly recommended. It runs about $100-150 US.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Airport Extreme or D-Link smb class.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Airport Extreme.
That's an idea. Or a time capsule, since both laptops will probably be macs soon enough.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Scott said:

Airport Extreme.
That's an idea. Or a time capsule, since both laptops will probably be macs soon enough.
I hate to continually beat the drum for Apple, but having owned several Netgears, linksys, and D-Link, the Airport really is the best AP I've ever had. It's been on for a year straight now, and the range is insane: for a 2000sq. Ft. house with it in the basement, I can:

A: be in the porcelain office upstairs on my iPod
B: be in the kitchen on my laptop
C: be in the driveway, streaming music from Pandora while I clean
D: be sitting on the back porch with the iPad.

The addition of a USB port so I can use it as a time capsule is a nice touch, as well as the dual network capability, so my friends can use wireless without me having to add their MAC address to my regular network.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I decided on the Airport Extreme.

Should be here by the end of the week :yesway:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Just noticed how old this thread is. :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
:rofl:

Ironically, I just pulled my DD-WRT-flashed Linksys WRT54G out of retirement to use at the shop.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts