Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Disclaimer - I know you're not supposed to mix on 'phones, and for 90% of the time I do rely on my Yamaha HS80Ms. However, in an untreated room, I've found sometimes it helps to make EQ tweaks on phones, especially in the low end, and they're nice to do stereo spread sanity checks and the like.

Ok, my old set of AKGs, after maybe 8 years of reliable service, have gradually had the right ear cut out until now it's much rarer to get sound in both sides than not. I'll open them up and give a quick go to making sure there isn't anything visibly off with the soldering and whatnot, but I think I'm due for another pair.

I'd prefer to stay $150 or below, but if there's a strong reason I'd probably consider $200-250.

Go!

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
319 Posts
Been using these for 4 years for tracking and even mixing late at night...i love them. It is definitely my favorite part of the day when i put them on....well, it doesn't beat sex, but its up there

Sony Product Detail Page MDR7506

They are 99bux everywhere on the net. very comfortable and the mixes translate well, for "in the cans" work.....hell, they would probably sound good "on the can" too, if you're into that kind of heavy-porcelain music:metal:

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
ATHM50s

Accurate enough to mix with as well.

HD25s have a marginal advantage for just tracking, because their isolation is a bit better and they're more forward in the mids, but they arent as good for general listening and the possibility of mixing because their low end handling is worse than the M50s.

Also, george massenburg says they're the only headphones he trusts. Good enough for the inventor of the parametric EQ, good enough for us!

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
FWIW, I liked everything about the beyers over the ATH M50's. The M50's were actually the set I went in to get, not even hearing about the beyers, but for a couple of dollars more, it was the better purchase for me.

·
Serious Bedroom Guitarist
982 Posts
I have a pair of AKG271s but I'm not very happy with them. Everything sounds tinny and mids and highs are really exagerated compare to "regular" headphones. I know they're supposed to be neutral, but they just sound weird... Maybe something's wrong with them or my output doesn't drive them enough...

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
That's your last strike, you have just been issued a restraining order. You must now maintain a 100 yard distance from all audio, especially of the musical variety, at all times.
With the magents in the speakers replaced with the ones from the J50BC :rofl:

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Do you want noise isolation? Then the sennheiser hd280 is what I'd recxomend. If not I also like the dt770's a lot. Also, the 280s you can find for <100 but the 770's are gonna be closer to 175/200 depending where you get em.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you want noise isolation?
Rejection of external noise, or bleed from the 'phones to the environment? I don't particularly care about the former (most of the time I track without phones, monitoring through my speakers, when tracking electric), but the later is very important for acoustic instruments - usually I track acoustic guitar on my earbuds for this very reason, because they bleed less than anything else I've used.

Sounds like these or the BD770s are the clear consensus, though. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts