Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving firewire recording for USB recording and I'm looking for a new unit. I'd prefer under $300 (or even under $200 really) and I only really need 2 inputs. I am looking for 24 bit/96kHz though, and it has to work seamlessly with Windows 7. Here's an M-Audio box I found that looks good:

M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio/MIDI Interface 9900-51076-00

only problem with that one is that when you run 96kHz input, the outputs shut off for some reason.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a M-Audio Fast Track, same thing I think, with two inputs... Anyway, I was running Win 7 64 bit with 4gbs ram... My recordings had the occasional pop and crackle that comes from latency issues. Needless to say I dont use that thing anymore. I stumbled across something else that works like a champ, my POD X3! It works as a great audio interface when plugged in via USB and hasn't given me one problem with win 7 64. It essentially has 3 inputs, Gtr1, Gtr2(or aux), and a mic (gtr 1&2 could be used for mics as well as long they dont require phantom power and you have the 1/4"plug). Anyway, it does everything Fast Tracks claimed to do, but without the pops and crackles... Just dont use the amp sims or effects if you already like the sound of your rig. You could probably buy a used one for around $350, maybe less.

Im in Afghanistan right now with my extremely "mobile" studio, it consists of my laptop, my pod X3, Shure m58, Schecter Hellraiser, and a pair of sony monitor headphones (which suck balls to mix with). Anyway, the POD X3 works better as an audio interface than it does as a modeler, IMO.

Later.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also worthwhile to note that I was looking at all the m-audios you are looking at as well. I had the one you linked in the OP (as well as a lower end single input fast track) and I feel like my focusrite is noticable better, even for my n00b ears/skills.

Edit: And it works flawlessly with win7/reaper.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear you. I've been playing through MOTU for years now, and before that I had an M-Audio Delta 1010, and I noticed a distinct improvement upgrading away from M-Audio.

That Focusrite Saffire looks awesome, though I may have to sacrifice having 96kHz if I go with it. The onboard mic pre's may make up for it though.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Yeah, the only interfaces I had owned before were two M-audio fast tracks and a digidesign m box. I feel like its better than all of them. The biggest two constraints I had for selecting a new one were price and it had to be USB. I feel like I couldn't have done better than the focusrite. The software has also been exceptionally stable on my machine, not a single hickup ever, the same cannout be said for m-audios stuff in my experience.

Buying new interfaces is a pain. And its not really a joy like buying a new guitar :lol: I don't think I'll upgrade again until I go for a more serious ~1k interface.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Interesting thread. Why are you moving away from firewire, Vince?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts