Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Very brief) design brief:

no more than 610cc, preferably motorbike engined as a sequential box is preferable, mounting isn't a problem as the chassis will be designed around it. Will be tuned to within an inch of its life, probably supercharged if we find the budget.

The older the donor the better, since it might be cheaper. :lol:

Formula Student :flex:

·
Nobody Has Seen Me Lately
1,191 Posts
What is this engine going into? Several options to go with depending on weight of vehicle.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
A few things that might also affect your choice:

Is fuel injected OK, or must it be carbed?
Will there be an intake restrictor?
What octane fuel will it be running?

I really wish I had participated when I was in college :)

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is this engine going into? Several options to go with depending on weight of vehicle.
It's going into a Formula Student car; Home

No idea what our rolling weight will be. Minimum is 300kg, but it will be more than that.

A few things that might also affect your choice:

Is fuel injected OK, or must it be carbed?
Will there be an intake restrictor?
What octane fuel will it be running?

I really wish I had participated when I was in college :)
Fuel injected is fine, although the cost of cabling that all up (you're only allowed rigid steel or PTFE/Nomex lines then) could be prohibitive. But then again...it's all about sponsorship. Get into bed with Demon Tweeks and it'd all be hunky dory, haha.

There is an intake restrictor, 20mm, although I do have an idea that may help circumvent that. Fuel is 93 Octane provided on site, no additives allowed at all.

There's an odd loophole in the regs that say turbos and supers can be added provided they are done in-house. Engines that come with turbochargers pre-fitted may not be used.

No rpovision for superchargers pre-existing though...

Pretty sure this'll be a bike engine which is really not my area of expertise. There's also the whole matter of a diff (and if, haha) after this...

Exciting.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Need to have four wheels, not in a line, haha.

A diff is pretty much essential as there are a bunch of lateral loading and cornering ability tests to pass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts