Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an interface to record guitar with (micing up cab).

I've been looking on thomann and i'm finding tons of those things.

I'll be trying out the other guitarists interface to see how that one works, although he said that it crashed sonar a lot when it comes to vst's (clueless about this tbh).

also, is it better to go for a USB unit or a firewire one?

Basicly the needs are:
1 channel mic/line
low latency
200-300$ range
Will be used with reaper and/or audacity.
My laptop isn't really a strong one, it'll be used to record with in rehearsal room & then put the tracks on my desktop for the actual mixing (dunno if some units use a lot of memory, cpu power)

Line 6 = GTFO

·
18,790 Posts
The amount of memory/cpu power required, and the vst's crashing sonar have nothing to do with the interface. The interface is just a sound card. Look at the M-Audio or Presonus stuff, they're both great, and there's other great ones out there too that I can't think of off the top of my head.

·
should really be working.
366 Posts
One of the Presonus firewire interfaces. Best bang for the buck. I'd try to get one with 4 inputs just in case you want to record drums down the road. Check the Reaper forums to make sure there aren't any major issues with whatever interface you go with.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I'd go with a firewire interface to keep latency down. A couple things to keep in mind about M-Audio and PreSonus:

• M-Audio is bad about drivers for 64-bit operating systems. If you have Vista or Windows 7, getting the interface to work might be a bit troublesome.
  • PreSonus is very picky about laptop firewire interfaces. I have firewire on my laptop, but I ended up having to get a firewire ExpressCard to use my Firestudio Mobile. It was only $20-$30, but it was a real annoyance.

·
18,790 Posts
I've never had latency issues with any of my USB 1.0 interfaces until I started slamming plugins in the mix, and the I was able to deal with any latency I was forced to put up with. For basic demoing and home recording, USB is fine if it's all you can afford. Firewire is absolutely better in every way, but there's nothing about USB 1.0 that makes it unusable.

·
Not really Giygas
8 Posts
I own a Presonus Firepod and for the money, I don't think you can beat it. Plenty of outputs, good response and it's built like a tank.

Only draw back I can think of is that it is not compatible with Protools (I use Cubase so I doesn't bother me).

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Currently doubting between firebox & audiobox from presonus. being pickyabout firewire interfaces kinda makes me edge more towards the audiobox though. Been reading through the presonus forums aswell and it does seem to have some issues especially with laptop firewire interfaces.

Being only 132€ the audiobox seems extremely tempting i must say.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going to the store tomorrow to order and audiobox along with a pair of decent headphones. Then it's off to have some fun in the rehearsal space to find a decent recording tone.

I'm not too sure how i'm going to deal with the mic placement yet really. Was thinking of drawing a white circle onto my grille cloth.

·
18,790 Posts
I'm not too sure how i'm going to deal with the mic placement yet really. Was thinking of drawing a white circle onto my grille cloth.
Once you find it, you can always put a little tape marker (basically all you need is a little L shape out of two pieces of tape so that the head of the mic sits inside the corner of the L). Other than that, don't be afraid to experiment and move the mic around.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I'm sorta old school. If I needed just one mic/line, I'd get an ASIO soundcard and a mixer so I can control it with real knobs and such.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Firebox

·
Knives!
427 Posts
I'd say the profire 610. Presonus always have reliability issues I find. M-Audio produce solid drivers. Infact the 2626 I have is the most reliable interface I could find for my setup and i'm in boot camp. I've tried the focusrite stuff like the saffire pro but it just didn't hold up. Try looking for a profire 610 on ClearAngel - Product Search.

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
Save up... get an RME. :agreed: Not being a dick, but if you plan on saying the music making path it'll be some serious future proofing when you get to the point where, "These pres sound pretty good, but not excellent", or, "The monitoring features are quite flexible enough".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts