Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in need of 2 good, but cheap Condenser Mics for recording cymbals. If its expensive new but goes cheap used, thats fine by me too. I'm basically going to do a hybrid mostly electronic kit with real cymbals and snare, so I don't need anything super duper and i'll just get some used SM57's for the snare/hihat, just something good, and cheap....and I cannot stress cheap enough because i'm about to buy the Alesis USB Drumkit from ZZounds. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I am in need of 2 good, but cheap Condenser Mics for recording cymbals. If its expensive new but goes cheap used, thats fine by me too. I'm basically going to do a hybrid mostly electronic kit with real cymbals and snare, so I don't need anything super duper and i'll just get some used SM57's for the snare/hihat, just something good, and cheap....and I cannot stress cheap enough because i'm about to buy the Alesis USB Drumkit from ZZounds. :lol:
One cautionary note - unless you're spot-micing the cymbals (and even then, to an extent), then the electronic kit is going to bleed into your overheads, so you'll hear two things with each, say, tom or kick hit - the very dead, flat sound of the beater or stick on the electronic pad, and then the sound of the sample. Additionally, if there's any latency between the two it could potentially sound a bit funky.

Also, you'll definitely be capturing the snare in your overheads, too, which will give you a louder, very "room-y" sounding snare coupled with very dry, up-front toms and kick. It could work, but most likely will just sound unnatural.

I'd go all electronic, personally. :shrug:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
One cautionary note - unless you're spot-micing the cymbals (and even then, to an extent), then the electronic kit is going to bleed into your overheads, so you'll hear two things with each, say, tom or kick hit - the very dead, flat sound of the beater or stick on the electronic pad, and then the sound of the sample. Additionally, if there's any latency between the two it could potentially sound a bit funky.

Also, you'll definitely be capturing the snare in your overheads, too, which will give you a louder, very "room-y" sounding snare coupled with very dry, up-front toms and kick. It could work, but most likely will just sound unnatural.

I'd go all electronic, personally. :shrug:
I can delete the pad noises from the overhead mics accept for when I actually hit a cymbal, and I've got ways to control the snare from sounding too roomy on its own. I can make the kick and toms sound great in Superior Drummer, but I just can't find a good snare tone that sounds real. I can see how it could sound unnatural, but hell metal drummers have been doing this type of thing for years, just with triggers instead of electronic kits. I'm going to have the electronic kit anyway and will just be borrowing the cymbals (and badass Fibes snare, which is partially mine anyway :lol:) from my old drummer, so if it doesn't work, no money lost other than on some mics, and I could use some good recording mics anyway.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
In theory you're correct. However, having done a few times in real life, it's not a practical issue. So go for it.

As for the OH mics... how cheap is cheap?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I can delete the pad noises from the overhead mics accept for when I actually hit a cymbal or course, and I've got ways to control the snare from sounding too roomy on its own.
No need, it will not be an issue at all.

I know you're friends with the TTD guys. Talk to Marc about his recording set up, he can give you some pointers I think.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
In theory you're correct. However, having done a few times in real life, it's not a practical issue. So go for it.
Really? Hmm. Interesting. I stand corrected! :D

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

As for the OH mics... how cheap is cheap?
I found 2 SM57s for $39.99 each, and can only swing one of them at the moment....so that cheap, if there isn't anything that cheap that will work good for what I want, I can wait until I Can afford them, I just want to get the ball rolling. (All because of what i'm about to spend on this kit)... I have been looking at the MXL 990s and 991s on ebay but haven't read any reviews yet.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Yeah, how cheap is cheap? If it's $500, try the Oktavas (which we use, and are VERY nice for the price) or the Studio Projects C4 (I've heard some good recordings with these.)

Cheaper than $400 for the pair, well, look for some reviews. :lol: I haven't used any of the cheap SDCs for recording...

Edit: You posted while I was typing. I'd wait.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I found 2 SM57s for $39.99 each, and can only swing one of them at the moment....so that cheap
Yikes, that's cheap! :lol:

I haven't worked with these myself, but a guy over at homerecording.com makes these:

http://www.naiant.com/naiant/microphones.html

...and a number of members use and recommend them. Of course, that could be simply because he's a regular, but the price is certainly right...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts