Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two favorite Book series is The Elric Saga (and everything else eternal champion) and A Song of Ice and Fire. So I'm looking for something more in the mature fantasy vein. Dug up some old R.A. Salvatore books from my basement to reread (clerical quintent) and realized that I no longer enjoy reading a five page fight scene four times every chapter.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
How is Elric? That always intrigued me back when I was in the Science Fiction Book Club, but I never picked it up.

Huge fan of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, here. Check out Wizard's First Rule.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Black Company is good

Any OF China Mieville' Bas Lag Books
Perdido Street Station
The Scar
Iron Council

Julian May's Saga Of Pliocene Exile (Fantasy wrapped in SCI FI)
Volume I:THE MANY-COLORED LAND
Volume II:THE GOLDEN TORC
Volume III:THE NONBORN KING
Volume IV:THE ADVERSARY
How is Elric? That always intrigued me back when I was in the Science Fiction Book Club, but I never picked it up.
Elric is awesome. A lot of the Eternal Champoion / Moorcock books are very good (Corum, Elric, Hawkmoon)

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Obligatory Malazan/Black Company/Dark Tower reference goes here!
I've read the Dark Tower series.

I've heard you mention the Malazan/Black Company (two different series or one) stuff several times? Is it high fantasy (elves? magic?) or slightly more realistic and dark (more like a song of ice and fire)?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are at all a Star Wars person I really enjoyed a lot of the "Extended Universe" books
I am a Star Wars person!

I've already read quite a few of them (eg Most of the older stuff like the Thrawn stuff). Any new story arcs worthwhile?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Huge fan of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, here. Check out Wizard's First Rule.
The Elric Saga is amazing. Its on a completely different level than most other fantasy books. I still maintain that "Sailor on the Seas of Fate" is my favorite book ever.

I've read the sword of truth series. Not a huge fan, its more cheesy epic fantasy (R A Salvatore) than the grittier kind of stuff I prefer.

Any opinions on the wheel of time series? Thats pretty much the only big name fantasy saga I haven't read.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Black Company is good

Any OF China Mieville' Bas Lag Books
Perdido Street Station
The Scar
Iron Council

Julian May's Saga Of Pliocene Exile (Fantasy wrapped in SCI FI)
Volume I:THE MANY-COLORED LAND
Volume II:THE GOLDEN TORC
Volume III:THE NONBORN KING
Volume IV:THE ADVERSARY

Elric is awesome. A lot of the Eternal Champoion / Moorcock books are very good (Corum, Elric, Hawkmoon)
:squint:Your forgot Von Bek

Alot of the Eternal Champion stuff in unfortunately hard to acquire cause alot of it is out of print.

I haven't even heard of alot of the books up there. A visit to amazon will be made in the near future.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Best sci-fi epic eva!
I actually bought Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion from a book shop last thanksgiving and only got about three chapters into the first one before I gave it to a friend. I was just really underwhelmed for how much praise they got. Should I retry the series?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Metal Shop \m/: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Rogueleader said:
Obligatory Malazan/Black Company/Dark Tower reference goes here!
I've read the Dark Tower series.

I've heard you mention the Malazan/Black Company (two different series or one) stuff several times? Is it high fantasy (elves? magic?) or slightly more realistic and dark (more like a song of ice and fire)?
Malazan is dark as hell. Darker than ASOIAF by far.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I am a Star Wars person!

I've already read quite a few of them (eg Most of the older stuff like the Thrawn stuff). Any new story arcs worthwhile?
I havent kept up in a while i read a bunch of stuff that was only within a 100 years or so pre and post films as well as a lot of the intertwining film stuff.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Did you read The Black Company, Eric? I think you'd really dig the shit out of it, if not.
I've looked for it a few times at some bookstores, but haven't had luck finding it. I've heard lots of great things about it and it definitely seems up my alley.

I'm sure if I looked harder, I could find it. For Malazan, I was able to find all the books through: searching three different major book stores in the Tokyo area, ordering one of the books off Amazon (but it literally took forever to get here), and special ordering one from a bookstore. So, I'm sure I could find them. :yesway:

·
Big
272 Posts
I actually bought Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion from a book shop last thanksgiving and only got about three chapters into the first one before I gave it to a friend. I was just really underwhelmed for how much praise they got. Should I retry the series?
Well, sure. It's a bit slow to start. I think it's a pretty amazing set of stories.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I've looked for it a few times at some bookstores, but haven't had luck finding it. I've heard lots of great things about it and it definitely seems up my alley.

I'm sure if I looked harder, I could find it. For Malazan, I was able to find all the books through: searching three different major book stores in the Tokyo area, ordering one of the books off Amazon (but it literally took forever to get here), and special ordering one from a bookstore. So, I'm sure I could find them. :yesway:
If you can't find it, I can whip the first few books in the mail for ya. It kicks shitloads of ass.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts