Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that headphones + mixing = heresy, since headphones separate your ears and such.

However, I'm going on the road for a month and I can't bring my monitors with me, so in the meantime I'd like something good and over-ear to use in my hotel so that I can work on my album in my hotel.

Something under $250 or so. Go!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone have these?

Buy Shure SRH840 Studio Headphones | Studio Headphones | Musician's Friend

The set that I have now is a cheap set of Audio Technica ATH-M30s that I picked up so that I could DI my (other, at the time) Axe-FX to my drummer. The place we were jamming in had some crazy acoustics, so getting him those headphones so that I didn't have to play volume-war with him worked out great.

They are otherwise fucking horrible though. :lol: iPod earbuds sound better than they do.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/7041339ec2fdcc12/index.html/

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
no really. every professional sound guy I've worked with has those sony headphones I posted. I don't own them, but they are on my list for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
no really. every professional sound guy I've worked with has those sony headphones I posted. I don't own them, but they are on my list for sure.
That's because of their ability to prevent leaking during tracking. They're great for use in vocal booths or anywhere that requires a quiet recording environment.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not looking to do final mixes - just something up there that I can use to make progress on stuff while I'm away. :yesway:

Apparently I have a huge head, because my AT's are completely stretched when I put them on too, so something with a large range of adjustment would be nice. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
^ Then you'd probably get along with the 7506's. They fold up and come with a little bag. There's also a lot of adjustability with the headband.

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
I second the vote for the Grado SR325i, but, they're above your listed budget. However, the SR225i's would well be worth investigating.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 325's are only a few bucks more - are they really that much better?

I'm not sure what I'm really looking for in terms of specs. What's the difference between "These headphones will make your iPod sound awesome" and "These headphones are flat response and you can use them to mix, sort of."

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I have the K270s, and they're quite nice. They're discontinued, but the K272 is the replacement, and it's within your budget.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's the difference between those:

Edit:

Heh, the 271's are $150 on Amazon, and $250 at good ol' Guitar Center. :noway:

·
abides
851 Posts
Generally, in marketing speak,

"These headphones will make your iPod sound awesome"
= SHITLOADS OF BASS YEAH!!! AND LOADS OF TREBLE TOO!!!!!

"These headphones are flat response and you can use them to mix, sort of."
= relatively neutral, and good enough to mix on if you have reference mixes and preferably a pair of monitors to double-check on.

Many mixers and mastering engineers consider headphones to be invaluable. Although yes, the stereo image can be misleading and yes, judging low end can be tricky at first, once you're familiar with the pair you use you'll find them extremely useful. Here's what Plec (pro mix/mastering engineer - THEPANICROOM.SE | We make you rock! - Since 2001) over on the Sneap forums had to say about headphones:

A very good pair of headphones for around $300-$500 that you like to listen to music on will rival the accuracy of any room and setup costing 100 times that amount or even more. For the guys saying "you can't do any real work on headphones because...." I just want to say... go learn! :p
I've done my fair share of both mixing and mastering on headphones more than anyone would like to know and never had any complaints from doing that. The only trick is that you got to find a pair of phones that are right for YOU and you got to learn how to work on them. Simple as that. Now I've just saved you at least $50 000 bucks and numerous years of your life. Look out for my invoice in your mailbox...

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:lol: So the Dr. Dre headphones aren't ideal to mix my drums on while I'm on the road, you say?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts