Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a nice portable/reliable firewire recording interface to use with my laptop running Windows 7. I also want to use it when I get an Axe-Fx eventually to do firmware upgrades via MIDI. I was leaning towards this Presonus unit:

Presonus FireStudio Mobile FireWire Audio Interface at AmericanMusical.com

But I saw these two also that looked intriquing:

M Audio ProFire 610 Firewire Audio Interface at AmericanMusical.com
MOTU Audio Express Hybrid USB/Firewire Audio Interface at AmericanMusical.com

What's your pick? And...GO!

·
Banned
19 Posts
The problem with buying a Firewire interface is that Firewire is in fact on it's way out, so when you upgrade your laptop or PC in 2-3 years, you'll find it harder to get any decent (Texas Instruments, etc) Firewire PCI or otherwise cards, especially with the correct chipset to run your DAW smoothly with the interface.

However, if you decide to use a Firewire interface, that it in fact your choice and it's a good one in the short term at least. I currently use a DIGI003 on my location rig and it's absolutely fine! If ou don't want to spend that kind of money but still want a decent interface i'd recommend this...

RME Fireface 800 Firewire Audio Interface

RME always has completely flawless design and excellent conversion (up to 192KHz, Pro Tools HD quality) and pre-amps that are transparent with lots of headroom.

you can get a slightly cheaper version on FW400 rather than FW800 for around £600 with less channel but the same quality performance.

Other than the RME, in the budget price range I would go with Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 which has decent Focusrite design pre's, 8 channels (with pre's and combi inputs) and an ADAT input which lets you expand (works well with Octopre, funnily enough) to 16 discrete in's. It'll set you back around £350.

Hope that helps.

G

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The RME's are WAY out of my price range :lol: and the apogee still might be a little too expensive to me, but those focusrite's look pretty nice...

·
Banned
19 Posts
The Focusrite stuff is okay man, does a decent job with decent build quality. Also, since Avid decide to fight the good fight and stop their hardware/software requirement you can use it with Pro Tools as well as Logic, Cubase, Reaper or Sonar.

G

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
You said you'd be getting the AFX though, right? You'd be doing yourself a favor spending a little more and getting a nice interface. No point getting a 1.5-2k piece of rack gear and cheaping out on other components :2c:

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to use the apogee duet, I'm pretty sure those are Mac only. The presonus and focusrite stuff is decent. That's what the guys I live with use and both had great results. My drummers focusrite saffire bit the dust today so I'll know how good their customer support is in a few days! He got it 2nd hand a few years ago and he had pretty much no problems until today though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm running the RME Fireface 800 and it's awesome, I can't recommend it enough. However, there's a known issue with updating the Axe-FX firmware using the RME MIDI adapter - not a problem for me as I have another MIDI interface I use for this but it's something you should be aware of.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I've got a MOTU 828 Mk2 and I've never had a single problem with it. :yesway: I also had a MOTU 8Pre before this, and same thing - perfect, no problems, easy drivers (even on Windows with the 8Pre) and fast setup.

I know Drew had a Presonus.. Something.. Die on him. Firepod, perhaps?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You said you'd be getting the AFX though, right? You'd be doing yourself a favor spending a little more and getting a nice interface. No point getting a 1.5-2k piece of rack gear and cheaping out on other components :2c:
This, especially with the AFX. It has all sorts of additional routing options, so you at LEAST want 4 inputs - two for the 1/4" outs, and two for the XLRs. That way, you can run dual amp setups, and get creative - for example, send just the dry signal to the 1/4" outputs, and the wet signal to the XLRs, and record all 4 at the same time in your DAW.

Since that eats 4 inputs right there, you'll want room for other stuff. When I recorded my acoustic stuff with the AFX, I did two amps like that, plus two condensers into a Presonus Bluetube, plus the onboard preamp in my Martin, for 7 tracks at once from ONE performance. It sounded fantastic, and gave me all sorts of mixing options.

8-channel all the way, there are plenty of options out there for not much more than a 2/4 channel, and a good FW400/800 interface will last you a very long time.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha! Behold a shitty recording! :lol: it's sloppy as all hell, spent about 10-15 minutes on the entire thing. Two guitar tracks panned hard left and hard right, no bass guitar, lecto and le456 plugins with recabinet 3, SD2.0 thrown on with bulb preset, no EQing or anything else just Ozone master preset thrown on the master track for the final touches. It just feels good to be able to record again finally, even if the first craptastic thing I make is a slopfest :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/drache713%2Funtitled

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Noob question.

once you have one of these interface devices do they just connect to your laptop/pc by usb or something?

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
I weighed all my options and I went with this guy:

Saffire PRO 24 DSP Audio Interfaces Saffire PRO 24 DSP

16 in, 8 out. Just rolled back to legacy firewire driver since the regular was acting weird and no issues so far. I may record something shitty just to celebrate :lol:
:yesway: The recording wasn't bad either. You just get better at setting levels and mixing the stuff. You'll love it even more once you get an Axe.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
yet another question.

i dont ever remember seeing a firewire port on any pc or laptop i've ever used?

have i just not been looking hard enough?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts