Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was looking to upgrade my amp soon and I've been trying to find what the best amp would be for metal.

I don't have a very high price range atm, probably around $500 max, although it'd mostly be for home use or small groups of about 5 people when I play for friends and such.

I'm currently using a small fender G-dec jr, and whilst it's served me well, it's been my little practice amp for far too long, since then I've spent a lot of time with a Line 6 Spider III and have used my mates spider IV in the past, but I was wondering what amp would be the best upgrade for the price range, I usually play songs from bands like Trivium, In Flames, Darkest Hour, Killswitch Engage, and more recently Omnium Gatherum and Be'lakor. but on the side I often play more melodic acoustics, mostly fingerpicked stuff.

Does anyone happen to know a good amp that would that can handle it's cleans well, has a good amount of bass and distortion, but also has the basic effects built in (echo, tremolo, reverb, ect.)?

I probably sound like an idiot trying to describe this as I'm not really too knowledgable on the hardware side of things but any help would be greatly appriciated.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
you wont get built in effects with a tube amp, only solid state i believe. and in that price range, get a XXX, they sell for around 350-400 all the time, or you may get lucky and find a used jsx for that cheap.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
you wont get built in effects with a tube amp, only solid state i believe. and in that price range, get a XXX, they sell for around 350-400 all the time, or you may get lucky and find a used jsx for that cheap.
This basically. Altough judging fromt he fact that you are from down under, take whatever peavy you can get.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no problems with buying second hand.

As for the other comment, what is the difference between a tube and solid state amp?

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
As for the other comment, what is the difference between a tube and solid state amp?
Quite a lot. :lol:

In your price range, if you want built-in effects, you want a modeling combo. A lot of those cheapo non-modeling amps with built-in effects (save for one or two Randalls I've heard) suck. A lot.

The Roland Cube and new Peavey Vypyr VIP are supposed to be good, and if you're super patient, the Line 6 Vetta.

Although if you can forego the effects, there's some awesome combo amps like the Randall V2C, Diavlo 40C, Jet City JCA, DSL40, and so on.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
get a jca20, an overdrive, delay, and eq pedal. and your good :yesway:
This :yesway:

Not sure how cheap they are over there, but there's also the Laney Ironheart Studio to try too, if you can score one used. That + a few pedals is magic.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
get a jca20, an overdrive, delay, and eq pedal. and your good :yesway:
At first, I read that has JC120, as in the Roland Jazz Chorus, and was about to call you nuts! :rofl:

Then I read it again, and realized oh yeah, derp. Jet City. Yeah, here in the US, you can get them used all day long for less than $300, which means plenty for a cab too. Not sure what the climate for used JC's there in Australia are though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts