Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Sup?

I don't think I've done any mic'ing on an acoustic guitar (on my own, at least) for four or five years. I remember getting really frustrated with an i5, and just giving up. I bought the super cheap MXL 990/991 combo and got pretty good results, I think.

I added a bit of compression to both tracks and a bit of reverb to the melody track. I think I should've gone back and rode the automation a bit with the melody track (I feel some of the dynamics are lost when the rhythm bits are louder), but all in all, I'm happy given how little effort I put into this one. This is BY FAR the least I've worked on one of these covers.

As always, tips, tricks, and criticism is always welcome. This may be a regular thing in the future, so the better I can get at grandpa guitars, the better.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Good effort, well done.

You wanna watch some of those low mids on the rhythm track though. Mostly, nice body, sometimes, a bit muddy.

Overall though its pretty impressive, well done.

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it does peak a bit around 250. Sounded good on headphones, but it's good to know that it doesn't translate too well. Thanks!

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love all these FF7 covers dude :yesway:
Thanks! There are more in the works :yesway:

Chris recommended me that mic combo...but I'm too cheap so I stuck with the mic I already had haha.
That's actually why I went ahead and bought it, ha! I remember him talking about it and it went on sale, so it went from cheap to stupid cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts