Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm curious to see how you guys have your home studios setup. What gear, software you use.:yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I run a Dell PC with Windows 7, Reaper 3.7-ish as a DAW, a M-Audio ProFire 2626 interface, shitty Behringer Truth monitors, and then an assortment of mics.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Yessir. Generally, a SM57 right up front for rhythm, and a Nady RSM-4 ribbon a hair further back for leads, though I'm thinking of blending the two for my album.

I figure, I own this kickass amp, a pretty decent interface, and a couple very guitar-appropriate mics, and furthermore while I live in an apartment the walls actually deaden sound a fair amount and I'm on the 3rd floor of a 2nd and 3rd floor apartment, so I've got some airspace between myself and the neighbors. It seems a shame not to use it.

EDIT - and even then, I can get some pretty good tones out of the Roadster at very modest volumes. Good enough that I'd rather mic up than use a software sim.

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Drew, How do you like the M-Audio ProFire 2626 interface? I've been curious about these.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
ns-10 monitors
win7 64 bit, reaper/cubase
mackie onyx 1640i 16 channel firewire
universal audio la-610 preamp/compressor
axefx
4 x sm57
1 x sm58
1 x at2020
1 x sm7b
2 x rode nt5 matched pair
1 x beta sm59
1 x beta sm52
a few other mics i can't remember

the la-610/sm7b is vocal heaven. it wins a lot of internets.

edit - also upstairs i have my firepod and rokit 5s to mix and record short demos and ideas.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Reaper
Apogee Duet
Adam A7X monitors
Axe-Fx
Rode NT1-A
Superior Drummer 2.0 with Metal Foundry

Now if only I could write a decent song...

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Drew, How do you like the M-Audio ProFire 2626 interface? I've been curious about these.
So far, I dig it - it seems a step up from my Firepod in sound quality, it's got a fair number of routing options and while I didn't like the stock routing (headphone volume was post-master, so if you had the master off, say, as in to track on 'phones without playing back through the mains, then you got zero headphone volume) it didn't take me more than a few minutes to figure out how to reconfigure it the way I wanted, it looks pretty sleek, installation was a breeze, and it seems stable. The mic pres seem quite good, too.

My biggest regret is, now that I have it rackmounted, the XLR inputs are on the backpanel which makes plugging and unplugging cables a bit tricky. I need to buy something like this:

http://www.markertek.com/Patchbays-...ec-Cables-Connectors/PBXLR-1.xhtml?PBXLR-1&bs

...though $230 seems like kind of a lot, and the connectors wouldn't give me the option of 1/4" or XLR.

You're certainly welcome to swing by and screw with it sometime, though, if you wanna give it a try! :yesway:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
So far, I dig it - it seems a step up from my Firepod in sound quality, it's got a fair number of routing options and while I didn't like the stock routing (headphone volume was post-master, so if you had the master off, say, as in to track on 'phones without playing back through the mains, then you got zero headphone volume) it didn't take me more than a few minutes to figure out how to reconfigure it the way I wanted, it looks pretty sleek, installation was a breeze, and it seems stable. The mic pres seem quite good, too.

My biggest regret is, now that I have it rackmounted, the XLR inputs are on the backpanel which makes plugging and unplugging cables a bit tricky. I need to buy something like this:

TecNec Cables & Connectors TecNec XLR To XLR Patch Bays Patchbays & Accessories at Markertek.com

...though $230 seems like kind of a lot, and the connectors wouldn't give me the option of 1/4" or XLR.

You're certainly welcome to swing by and screw with it sometime, though, if you wanna give it a try! :yesway:
That sounds nice. I would like to upgrade the Digi001 as it's getting old and I'm sure the PCI card will die on me at some point in the not so distant future.

I'll definitely have to take a drive up someday. :yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Profire 2626 has some legit converters as well. Best on the lowend market I'd say for sure.
That's reassuring. :lol: All I know is I'm happy with my recorded tones these days, but so much has changed since I last did a lot of serious recording - new amp, got a heck of a lot better with a SM57, started tracking significantly lower for greater headroom, switched to 24-bit, etc - that it's tough to do a really good comparison.

Sure thing, Pete - don't be surprised if I try to steal your vibrato, though. :D

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Built the pc myself, doubles as a gaming computer (Intel 3Ghz quad-core, 8Gb ram, ATI Radeon 4870x2)
TC Electronics Impact Twin
KRK RP5G2 monitors with a THX-audio MT8SA sub
M-Audio Keyrig 49
TC Electronics TC1140 parametric EQ
Cubase 5
Reason
Wavelab
Superior 2.0 with metal foundry
Pod X3 Live
TC Electronics Nova Dynamics
Rode NT1A
SM 57

Also have an old laptop with V-Stack connected thru VST System Link for effects. Not that I really need it but the nerd in me thinks it's cool:)

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Hmmm...

I run ProTools HD|3 on an XP machine w/ 4 GB RAM, 100 GB system drive, 500GB audio drive.

My converters are Apogee, AD16x and Rosetta 800, syched to a Big Ben.

My monitors are Genelec 1031s and Yamaha Hr50s, controlled by a Dangerous Music Monitor ST.

Preamps... 8 ch. API, 4 ch. Neve, 2 ch. Avalon solid state, 2 ch. Avalon Tube. Rane and UREI EQs. Avalon DI.

Outboard... Lexicon PCM 91, Sony Verb, TC M2000, TC Finalizer.

Mics... Royer 122, Nuemann M147, KM184x2, Josepheson C42x2, SM57x2, 421x6, D6, 112x2, Subkick, Beta57, etc.

I have a Control 24 control surface, and a bunch of other shit I can't remember right now...

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
I run a Dell PC with Windows 7, Reaper 3.7-ish as a DAW, a M-Audio ProFire 2626 interface, shitty Behringer Truth monitors, and then an assortment of mics.
Fuck yeah, Behringer Truths :lol:
I've got a pair of B2030As. They aren't even mine, my sister's ex boyfriend left them here a while ago, and he's in Germany, so they're basically mine until he comes back to Australia :lol:
I'll probably get some new monitors before then though, probably some Yamaha HS-80Ms.
The mid range monitors aren't really worth it unless you get a good discount (Adam A7s, KRK VXT etc etc). By the time you get to that point, it's just better to save up to get something significantly better in the high end range (Event Opal etc) for not much more money

·
Madcap Funster
28 Posts
I used to run a recording studio which I sold my final share of last year. I have built a studio at home based around Pro tools M-Powered DAW, plugins and 2 purpose built by me overclocked core 2 PC`s. 1 PC runs the Pro Tools and the other is there to run other stuff as well if I need it, it`s hard drive`s contents are also a clone of the 1st PC in case I need a backup.

I also use other stuff such as :

Guitars with EMG and Seymour Duncan pickups, Marshall DSL 100 amp and 1960A cab, Shure sm57 & sm 58 mics, 57 in the cone of the cab, the 58 further out and then blended in slightly in the mix ( Andy Sneap trick ).

NS-10 monitors + a pair of huge HI-FI speakers, Keyboards - Roland Juno-D, Roland JV1010, Korg M1, 16 track small mixing desk, Alesis & Roland hybrid V-Drumkit

and as controllers : Akai MPD24 & Novation Nocturn.

That`s the main stuff anyways.

The 2 Core 2 PC`s are bother running at 3.3Ghz on a 32 bit windows XP Pro installation and have 2 hard drives each ( one for the audio ) 3 or 4 gig of ram and they have never been connected to the internet or used for anything other than music, it really is best to have a PC just for the music if you can. I have a gaming and internet PC downstaires for other stuff.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Hmmm...

I run ProTools HD|3 on an XP machine w/ 4 GB RAM, 100 GB system drive, 500GB audio drive.

My converters are Apogee, AD16x and Rosetta 800, syched to a Big Ben.

My monitors are Genelec 1031s and Yamaha Hr50s, controlled by a Dangerous Music Monitor ST.

Preamps... 8 ch. API, 4 ch. Neve, 2 ch. Avalon solid state, 2 ch. Avalon Tube. Rane and UREI EQs. Avalon DI.

Outboard... Lexicon PCM 91, Sony Verb, TC M2000, TC Finalizer.

Mics... Royer 122, Nuemann M147, KM184x2, Josepheson C42x2, SM57x2, 421x6, D6, 112x2, Subkick, Beta57, etc.

I have a Control 24 control surface, and a bunch of other shit I can't remember right now...
ffuuuuuucccckkkk yyooouuuu

that is a nice sounding setup dude. I'm jealous.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Fuck yeah, Behringer Truths :lol:
I've got a pair of B2030As. They aren't even mine, my sister's ex boyfriend left them here a while ago, and he's in Germany, so they're basically mine until he comes back to Australia :lol:
I'll probably get some new monitors before then though, probably some Yamaha HS-80Ms.
I have the same ones. :lol: I passed on the 8" driver model because they wouldn't fit on my desk at the time. I'm in the market for something more decent, and those Yamahas are also on the list of speakers I'm looking at. Go figure. :lol:

They suck, hard, but I didn't have the cash for anything better at the time and the computer speakers I'd been mixing on were crapping out. They've, well, let's say I've gotten my money's worth, somehow. :lol:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i was planning to get the Line 6 pod x3 pro but not I've changed my mind and plan on getting the Digitech GP1101 since its cheaper and seems to have more firmware updates with new amps and improvements. I have a Tone Port UX1 and I really don't like Pod Farm but I figured I could use the UX1 for Bass or something..

DAW will be Reaper, drums will be software based just not sure which to get right now. That's all I think I need for now to lay my tracks down.. guys have any suggestions? i'm new at this.

I will get some studio monitors probably at GC once I have time to go and listen and try a few of them out. As for the PC i have a spare dual core, 3GB, 1TB to use for the setup. Probably will add on a back up drive as well.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
ffuuuuuucccckkkk yyooouuuu

that is a nice sounding setup dude. I'm jealous.
At a glance, it seems a pretty modest setup, doesn't it? Then you start realizing what some of that shit is. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
i was planning to get the Line 6 pod x3 pro but not I've changed my mind and plan on getting the Digitech GP1101 since its cheaper and seems to have more firmware updates with new amps and improvements.
IMO that's not a reason to take the Digitech. Well, I mean, cheaper may be (we're all on budgets), but the number of amps and the number of updates is sort of irrelevant, IMO. The real question is how the two or three amps you expect to get the most use out of sound. If the X3 Pro doesn't get updated much but the Soldano model slays, then that's the one you'll be happier with.

What's your "real" amp - is micing at all a possibility? It's a much steeper learning curve, but ultimately will give you better results, particularly at the entry level modeler level.

A backup drive would be a good idea - one drive to run system files and programs, another to save audio is probably the best way to go. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts