Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I produced the debut for a death metal locally and I think I took like $50 for the whole job, recording with my Tascam interface... To this day I am still amazed by how fucking brutal it sounds. The snare is heavy as fuck, and snare and toms are 100% acoustic, kicks are 50% triggered I think... But damn, the snare just kills. So much reverb and shit. Hahaha!

And their Bandit 112 with HM pedal at max... Chainsaw sound deluxe

Here's my production:

They then went into a more "fancy" studio and recorded this

Their later recording isn't bad at all, and it's not like my production is clean or "well produced" in a traditional way...

Just wondering, which one do you prefer? :ugh:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
For the guitars at least I prefer the first one. In the second one you can barely hear them at all. Needs more mids.

·
Registered
199 Posts
huh.. i have that first album. the album sounded really raw. loved it. i didn't care much for the second album plus it sounds not as exciting, not to mention i'm a little over the swedeath style. the reason i liked the first was because of the more raw sounding guitars. so yeah good job on the first one.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
huh.. i have that first album. the album sounded really raw. loved it. i didn't care much for the second album plus it sounds not as exciting, not to mention i'm a little over the swedeath style. the reason i liked the first was because of the more raw sounding guitars. so yeah good job on the first one.
Thanks! Yeah the guitar sound was amazing.

One of the guitarist played a HARLEY BENTON Flying V, which actually kept tuning well and sounded and played great! :flex:

For the guitars at least I prefer the first one. In the second one you can barely hear them at all. Needs more mids.
I totally see why somebody wouldn't like my drum production on that album, it's so fucking drowned in reverb :lol:

But I love that sound, and the band seemed to like it for the moment too, hehe. :)

That shaky video thing in the second is suuuuper annoying. :lol:
Haha yeah. But I would have liked to see how it looks with 3D glasses, for some reason.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
second one is pretty boomy
Yeah the bass drowns out much of the low end...

One of my own issues when I'm recordding and mixing stuff is that I sometimes make too thin mixes... I like treble stuff, and not so much boomy bass...
So their 2nd recording really stands out in my ears hahaha!

Actually, I think the actual guitar sound of their 2nd sounds really good, but it doesn't shine through the bass and drums

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
a listener should be able to turn up the bass in their car or or on their home stereo and get it boomy if that is their preference, or leave it how it was recorded, and get a well balanced sound.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
a listener should be able to turn up the bass in their car or or on their home stereo and get it boomy if that is their preference, or leave it how it was recorded, and get a well balanced sound.
:hesright:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts