Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you mic guys use your tube screamers/ boosts when your record? I'm finding that while the boost tightens it up in the room, the recordings say other wise.

Going straight into the head sounds better on my mesa. With the boost its too over powering on my recordings.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I'm probably in the minority here, but that's how I feel too. For rhythms, anyway - leads seems to be a different story, at least for some things.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm probably in the minority here, but that's how I feel too. For rhythms, anyway - leads seems to be a different story, at least for some things.
Yea, with leads i like it on to help the notes sing and sustain a little better from one to the next. The lack of boosting just seems to make it sit better and clearer for rythems.

·
Madcap Funster
28 Posts
I use a tube screamer pedal as a kinda pre before my guitar goes into my Marshall Dsl 100. I am using it one one of the more extreme albums that I`m working on at the moment with the distortion on it set low to just give my overdriven amp sound that bit of extra `clunk`, although I have to boost the bass a bit on the amp to compensate but I never use the deep bass boost button on the amp cos it doesn`t sound good in the studio room, too much bottom end.

For other albums I`m working on that are less extreme I don`t tend to use the screamer, also it does manage to make all of my guitars sound kinda the same regardless of the pups that are installed on them

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
When I've recorded, I still use a boost, but not a tubescreamer style. I use something flatter, like a seymour duncan pickup booster, or some other clean boost. That way I still slam the tubes nice and hard, but I don't get the squashed sound that can come through on some heavily TS boosted recorded amps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts