Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I'd ask this, as I think a few of us on here run a rec in some form or another. Whether it's the axe-fx, another modeler or the real deal, where do you run your mids?

I'm wondering where people set it for what sound:

Model (dual, triple, roadster, modeller):
Tone achieved:
Channel:
Mode:

I currently have mine set at around 3 o'clock on both ch3 vintage and ch4 modern with the gain at 5 and 4 respectively, using ch3 for chorus distortion and ch4 for leads.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Mine are about 11:00 for the red (rhythm) channel, and just about 12:00 for the orange (lead) channel of my Triple. Any less than that and Dave kills me with the Stiletto, and much more and we get into a volume fight. :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike!

I just totally re-EQ'd channel 3 and 4 with my bandmate (practice in 2 hours), hopefully it sits a bit better in the mix now.

I think I was kind of afraid of the presence and treble knob, but with somewhat muddy pickups, mahogany shorter-scale guitars, a dark amp paired with neutral-esque speakers... I should have been turning them up a bit. I'm still trying to run my gain as low as possible while still having "rock" distortion and a full tone.

By itself with the output at noon, it's been set up for some more cut - will report back later tonight!

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
To me, the bass is the most important one to understand. Pretty much everyone that has had a recto for a long time that i talk to agrees bass cant really be very high at all. 9 o'clock is the highest i run it. and normally as matt said, right above off

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Bass depends on volume, though. If my amp is loud, 9-10:00. If it's low, bedroom volume, I run it around 1-2:00.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Mids are usually around 10:30-11 O clock, maybe a little less. The bass is at 10:30, gain at 1, treble at 12:30, and presence...i still can't figure out where to set this one :lol:

This is the OJ channel by the way.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Mine are about 11:00 for the red (rhythm) channel, and just about 12:00 for the orange (lead) channel of my Triple. Any less than that and Dave kills me with the Stiletto, and much more and we get into a volume fight. :lol:
Yeah, that's my fault, since I run my mids straight up. The amp sounds really awesome scooped, but I can't solo like that, and it sounds even better with the crunch in the midrange. Rectos are better at the low chunk, anyway--I'm running my bass on 11:00.

Now that I have the graphic EQ, I've been considering trying the Mark method of diming the mid knob, and then scooping them back out with the gEQ.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Yeah, that's my fault, since I run my mids straight up. The amp sounds really awesome scooped, but I can't solo like that, and it sounds even better with the crunch in the midrange. Rectos are better at the low chunk, anyway--I'm running my bass on 11:00.

Now that I have the graphic EQ, I've been considering trying the Mark method of diming the mid knob, and then scooping them back out with the gEQ.
Eh, that works for a Mark because the EQ knobs are pre-gain and the graphic is post-gain. Something tells me it won't work as well with the Stiletto.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Gain - 1:00 with passives, 12:00 with EMGs.

Treble - 1:00

Mids - around 11:00 on modern and 10:30 on Vintage.

Bass - With passive I run it around 9:00. With EMGs (81 in the bridge) I run it up around 12:00.

Presence is 1:00 on modern and 11:00 on vintage. If I find there's too much top end sizzle I turn down the tone knob on my guitar rather than the presence on my amp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts