Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may apply to other amps as well, but since I know fuck all about tubes other than my own, I'll throw this out there.

I was just talking to Dave, listening to him suffer from bubonic plague on the phone, and brought up the idea of swapping out the stock 12AX7 in V5 (FX send return) with a TungSol. In V1, the TS added some sparkle :)yesway:) and good top end everywhere, and got rid of some fizz.

What are you Mesa-heads thoughts on slapping one in V5 as well? The Roadster does bring up a bit more fizz and brightness with the loop engaged, and I'm thinking that the TS could "tame" that in a similar way to V1.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
When I had a triple, I ran a patch cable from the FX Send to FX Return, and I like the bit of smoothing it added. Putting a nice sounding tube in the FX loop could help.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what Dave mentioned as well. I just want to get that little extra bit of bite out of the loop, and get it closer to how it sounds with the loop disengaged.

The Roadster loop is pretty clean anyway, as is the GM/2, but where tubes are a quick/cheap swap, I figured it may be interesting to try out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You can't use a New Sensor tube in the V3 or V5 on a Roadster. Those are cathode followers and for some reason back in 2008 New Sensor lowered the quality of their tubes so that they can no longer handle the voltage present in those positions. It's why Mesa ditched the Sovtek/EH tubes they were using before in favour of JJs.

You can stick a Tung Sol anywhere else, just not in the V3 or V5. For those two positions you're limited to JJ or Chinese tubes.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't use a New Sensor tube in the V3 or V5 on a Roadster. Those are cathode followers and for some reason back in 2008 New Sensor lowered the quality of their tubes so that they can no longer handle the voltage present in those positions. It's why Mesa ditched the Sovtek/EH tubes they were using before in favour of JJs.

You can stick a Tung Sol anywhere else, just not in the V3 or V5. For those two positions you're limited to JJ or Chinese tubes.
That's great to know man, thanks! :yesway:

So something like this?

Amazon.com: JJ 12AX7 / ECC83 Gold Pin Vacuum Tube: Musical Instruments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah, that'll work... however your amp came stock with JJs so there's not much point in buying one of those since it's what you're already using.

Doug's Tubes has amp kits... basically a suggestion for different tube layouts in various amps. Lots of people seem to like the results, although I've never tried them myself.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hm, my amp has Mesa tubes in it. At least - they're labeled Mesa. Again, I know fuck all about tubes. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But what about the big blurb about not requiring bias in the back of my owner's manual and whatnot? :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts