Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently have heard of guthrie with his red bear picks and did a search on yahoo engine... yes it seems to have pretty cool colors a wide range of sizes and shapes to choose from.. but its just plain hype going at 20USD? each.... i wont mind to consider if it is almost indestructable at all direction.. has anybody gotten one?

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
If theyre anything like real tortoise shell picks, thats awesome

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The bloody hell with that. The way I lose picks, those would cost me ten grand a year to switch to. :lol:

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
The bloody hell with that. The way I lose picks, those would cost me ten grand a year to switch to. :lol:
after loosing about $60 worth of 'em, I learned to be careful :rofl:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
after loosing about $60 worth of 'em, I learned to be careful :rofl:
I'd never do it. I swear, I could play in a completely white, empty room using a black pick and I'd find a way to drop and lose it. Sometimes I think there's a dimensional, pick-swallowing vortex directly between my feet that opens up the minute I start playing and just waits to gobble the newest, freshest picks that I have handy.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I'd never do it. I swear, I could play in a completely white, empty room using a black pick and I'd find a way to drop and lose it. Sometimes I think there's a dimensional, pick-swallowing vortex directly between my feet that opens up the minute I start playing and just waits to gobble the newest, freshest picks that I have handy.
If you ever find it, let me know. I have countless 'pairs' of brand new socks that are unwearable. :lol:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
Wow looks sweet thou...so are they really indestructable if so i wonder how long it last if paul gilbert were to hit on with this pick lol i mean his picking technique is just wild !!
I'm pretty damn sure they're not indestructible but I don't have a particularly light hand and I play about two hours a day and I haven't seen any sign of wear.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i dont mind seriously trying one out to replace my Jim dunlop (tortex) jazz spectrum...if its going to replace that few bulks of your Jims by the red bears you gotten ;) thanks alot by the way ;)

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
snake oil
No. Have you ever used a legit tortoise shell pick? Its noticeably different. Better, IMO, for what i do (bluesy rocky stuff, think drew but way less good), and probably nothing youd care for (pooshy funkpop whore metal thrash buttsecks chunk squee thugunk metal death hate black), but its a preference thing. Would i pay $20 a pick for it (or a damn close replica)? I dunno, probably not. But "not worth it IMO" and "snake oil" are two very different things

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
So i guess the guy to ask here is elquistador, Have you ever played an actual tortoise pick? how DO these compare?

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
So i guess the guy to ask here is elquistador, Have you ever played an actual tortoise pick? how DO these compare?
I have. A family member still has a few D'Andrea picks made before the ban.

This is going to sound strange, but the most noticeable difference is the smell - when you really pick hard with tortoise shell, it smells like burnt hair. The red bear has no smell. The tactile feel (texture, flexibility, etc) of the of the light and medium red bears is very similar to tortoise shell, I honestly can't tell the difference.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've never had the smell issue, but most of the picks I've used were OOOOLD
Hrm, I may have to try one out. I'm AWFUL about losing picks but I might spring for one. Have you tried their cheaper

1 - 20 of 70 Posts