Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been trying to learn how to play enter sandman since it seems easy. When I do the power chords I get a lot off string feedback when changing to the next power chord. Whats the best way to stop this? i'm sure its trick/technique i've not learned yet.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

Its all in the muting, make sure you're always muting unused strings with a combo of left and right hands.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Like, other notes ringing out, or the strings squeak as you move?

Part of it is technique, but switching to a coated string (I swear by Elixir Nanowebs) can help a little too.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

Post a video of your playing so we can see if its an abnormallity with the amp or your playing.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ill see what I can do with the video. I know it has to be my playing most of the people on youtube play so clean. Thanks for all the comments you guys are great. I haven't been muting any strings at all so i'm sure that is the issue but Ill see if I can dig out my web ***.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
ill see what I can do with the video. I know it has to be my playing most of the people on youtube play so clean. Thanks for all the comments you guys are great. I haven't been muting any strings at all so i'm sure that is the issue but Ill see if I can dig out my web ***.
Everyone starts somewhere, so don't be discouraged by the guys on Youtube. 99% of them are full of shit.

Work on your palm muting, and get your playing clean, and it'll come to you in time. If you cover it up by adding gain now, you won't realize it down the road and you'll develop bad habits. If you get it clean and natural feeling, when the gain goes away your playing will still be aces. :yesway:

I am a palm muting machine, so if you need any help I'd be glad to offer any advice that I can. :)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
If you play it clean, it'll definitely highlight what you need to work on, but on the flipside it won't be nearly as much fun. ;) If you're jamming along with it, let it fly and crank the gain up. If you're practicing it, roll back the gain or play it clean.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
If you play it clean, it'll definitely highlight what you need to work on, but on the flipside it won't be nearly as much fun. ;) If you're jamming along with it, let it fly and crank the gain up. If you're practicing it, roll back the gain or play it clean.
I don't know about that, I find playing with gain helps highlight mistakes in muting way better because the compression makes the little things much louder. If it was mistakes in terms of him hitting the wrong notes then I'd agree with you but he's having trouble muting so compression will only highlight his mistakes in terms of extra string noise.

Thats just my opinion though, you should probably listen to Chris, he's been playing guitar longer than I've been alive.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I don't know about that, I find playing with gain helps highlight mistakes in muting way better because the compression makes the little things much louder. If it was mistakes in terms of him hitting the wrong notes then I'd agree with you but he's having trouble muting so compression will only highlight his mistakes in terms of extra string noise.

Thats just my opinion though, you should probably listen to Chris, he's been playing guitar longer than I've been alive.
He's talking about getting the fretting down, which is what I'm referring to - for muting practice, yeah, add some gain. Muting is hit or miss. You either do it right, or it sounds bad, so practicing it is basically down to whatever you feel more comfortable with.

What I was getting at is that using gain to cover up noise will make you develop bad habits that lead to the noise rather than correcting it and getting comfortable so that playing cleanly comes natural. :)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Playing with gain and compression can "gloss over" the little things like ringing out strings or the like. Clean shows everything.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Regarding muting, this is a (bad camera audio :( ) video that I did a couple years ago to poke fun at Jeff. In the beginning before I give the thumbs down, I'm fretting with bad muting. Then I switch to normal muting, where you hear the riffed muted notes individually without the string ringing out.

Again the audio sucks, but it'll give you a basic idea. Unfortunately the camera's right next to me and I have a heavy picking hand, so there's a fuckton of pick noise. :lol: Think of it as the world's most accurate click track!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.