Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Get over the price thing. Please.

Adam, why did you pay for a used BMW when you could have got a new Ford for the same money? ;)

Leon, if you're considering a portable, i would STRONGLY recommend getting the extended AppleCare as well. It extends your warranty to three years, and in my experience with anything portable, stuff starts to break after year two. Hard drives, logic boards, power adapters, etc. My AppleCare warranties have almost always paid for themselves.

·
18,790 Posts

Adam, why did you pay for a used BMW when you could have got a new Ford for the same money? ;)
:agreed: They're just bitter our sloppy seconds are still better than their virgins :lol: (just kidding, not trying to keep the argument going, just couldn't resist the joke)

Leon, if you're considering a portable, i would STRONGLY recommend getting the extended AppleCare as well. It extends your warranty to three years, and in my experience with anything portable, stuff starts to break after year two. Hard drives, logic boards, power adapters, etc. My AppleCare warranties have almost always paid for themselves.
Yeah, that makes sense. I don't think I got that with mine, and I probably should have, in my case it was more like 3 years after I got it, my CD/DVD drive crapped out. Everything else works fine, though (even my original battery and AC adapter :nuts: ).

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts

BMW vs Ford is a completely different discussion, one is a luxury(ish) car, the other is, well, normal. Mac's aren't more "luxurious", or different in any way as to demand the price premium. The fact that Mac OSX can also run on almost any recent x86-64 hardware also makes it make even less sense. So they put some time into their case design, so their OS isn't Windows, it doesn't explain the price premium. You spend more on OSX just BUYING the Mac than most anyone has spent in the last 10 years buying Windows, and they have the gall to tell you you get "free" updates :lol: I'm all for OSX, I like it, its a very refined OS, but I'm not all about being forced to buy overpriced hardware that I know I could build myself for a fraction of the cost. Thats all, thats what it boils down to. You can't build a BMW out of a Ford.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Great, now you're paying new price for a comparable PC, for a used Mac :lol:
When did PC's come out that had OS X on them that is supported? This is news to me!! Link please?

Sarcasm aside, if you want OS X on supported hardware, you buy a Mac. You either see the value, or you don't.

BMW vs Ford is a completely different discussion, one is a luxury(ish) car, the other is, well, normal. Mac's aren't more "luxurious", or different in any way as to demand the price premium. The fact that Mac OSX can also run on almost any recent x86-64 hardware also makes it make even less sense. So they put some time into their case design, so their OS isn't Windows, it doesn't explain the price premium. You spend more on OSX just BUYING the Mac than most anyone has spent in the last 10 years buying Windows, and they have the gall to tell you you get "free" updates :lol: I'm all for OSX, I like it, its a very refined OS, but I'm not all about being forced to buy overpriced hardware that I know I could build myself for a fraction of the cost. Thats all, thats what it boils down to. You can't build a BMW out of a Ford.
Have you actually priced out a Windows PC that isn't a piece of shit Best Buy laptop? Macs are not that more expensive. Sure, run on down to BB and get yourself a $600 laptop and say you saved $600. Because that $600 laptop is just like the Mac, right? :roll2:

The MacBook Pro's are well designed, well built machines that in my opinion only have equal in something like a Lenovo Thinkpad. Dells feel cheap in comparison. HP's feel cheap in comparison. And I'm talking about the business line stuff, not the drivel you find at BB.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
When did PC's come out that had OS X on them that is supported? This is news to me!! Link please?

Sarcasm aside, if you want OS X on supported hardware, you buy a Mac. You either see the value, or you don't.
Or you run Hackintosh.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Which is unsupported and can break at any time with an update. Sure, sign me up. :roll2:
And thats why you wait until the Hackintosh community fixes the updates ;) BTW, every update has the potential to break things regardless of whether you're on "supported" hardware or not.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Which is unsupported and can break at any time with an update. Sure, sign me up. :roll2:
These days, you can run the retail version on generic Intel computers, and updates will work fine. The latest Snow Leopard update worked perfectly here.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
And thats why you wait until the Hackintosh community fixes the updates ;) BTW, every update has the potential to break things regardless of whether you're on "supported" hardware or not.
Thanks, I didn't realize that being in IT for this long. :D

Well done on turning yet another thread into "Wow, Macs are expensive, I can get a PC for a lot less that's just as good" thread. This is certainly news to anyone upright and breathing, and I'm sure it's changed everyone for the better. ;)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
These days, you can run the retail version on generic Intel computers, and updates will work fine. The latest Snow Leopard update worked perfectly here.
Link? Which regular, generic PC's can you install an unmodified version of the retail boxed copy of SL?

Which regular PC's are now coming with EFI that emulates what SL is looking for? This sounds interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Link? Which regular, generic PC's can you install an unmodified version of the retail boxed copy of SL?
It should work on any machine with a recent Intel CPU (Core 2 Duo, etc).

Which regular PC's are now coming with EFI that emulates what SL is looking for? This sounds interesting.
I don't have a deep understanding of it, but it looks like the specialized boot loader takes care of the EFI stuff.

OSNews published an article about it a while ago: Building a Hackintosh Apple Can't Sue You For

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
It should work on any machine with a recent Intel CPU (Core 2 Duo, etc).

I don't have a deep understanding of it, but it looks like the specialized boot loader takes care of the EFI stuff.

OSNews published an article about it a while ago: Building a Hackintosh Apple Can't Sue You For
That does work, but not on just any system with a Core 2 Duo. It's got to fit other criteria for everything to work 100%, since OS X is looking for certain pieces of hardware.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
BMW vs Ford is a completely different discussion, one is a luxury(ish) car, the other is, well, normal. Mac's aren't more "luxurious", or different in any way as to demand the price premium.
If that's your opinion, then i would argue that you've never looked at a Mac up close, never opened one up or taken one apart. The thoughtfulness of design and attention to detail in the construction is incredible.

Ever looked at the back or underside of your typical Windows laptop? Apple probably spends as much time designing the back and underside of their machines as other companies spend on the entire thing.

I had a Dell for work for a while. On the surface, it was a decent looking machine. But the back was a jumbled mess, and the underside was even worse. It had about seven rubber feet on the bottom because it was such a convoluted mess of planes, bumps and recesses because the enclosure was so poorly designed around the innards.

If you don't perceive value in Apple's design or manufacturing, then that's fine. But i think the BMW/Ford comparison is a valid one. There are people who buy Fords who don't see the value in BMW's "luxury" or performance. The Ford will get them from Point A to Point B just the same.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
That does work, but not on just any system with a Core 2 Duo. It's got to fit other criteria for everything to work 100%, since OS X is looking for certain pieces of hardware.
There is one other prerequisite that I can think of, and that is a compatible SATA controller. Without that, it won't boot. My idea of a working system is when it boots and mouse and keyboard work.

As far as hardware support goes (audio, video, networking, etc.), YMMV. A decent range of graphics hardware is supported, though. Audio, I'm not exactly sure as I'm using a PODxt for which Line6 delivers the drivers. Network interfaces is probably the area where you are most likely to run into trouble, if I had to take a guess.

The best way to find out what does or does not work is by searching through various "OS X on a PC" forums, preferably by motherboard/chipset. There is a "what hardware works on OS X" database around, but last time I checked it was cluttered and very outdated.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
There is one other prerequisite that I can think of, and that is a compatible SATA controller. Without that, it won't boot. My idea of a working system is when it boots and mouse and keyboard work.

As far as hardware support goes (audio, video, networking, etc.), YMMV. A decent range of graphics hardware is supported, though. Audio, I'm not exactly sure as I'm using a PODxt for which Line6 delivers the drivers. Network interfaces is probably the area where you are most likely to run into trouble, if I had to take a guess.

The best way to find out what does or does not work is by searching through various "OS X on a PC" forums, preferably by motherboard/chipset. There is a "what hardware works on OS X" database around, but last time I checked it was cluttered and very outdated.
Well that's what I mean though; my definition of a functional computer is the camera working, networking, bluetooth, video resolutions, audio, etc. So it's not 100% cut and dried that it will work. Sure, you can Google it, do the research, etc. However some people just don't want to futz with it, and it's certainly something you wouldn't want to run on a business machine (which is what most of my Macs are, except my MBP13).

1 - 20 of 72 Posts