Metal Guitarist Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Since I don't own a BMW or a Ford, these to me are just overpriced. :lol: I can get a more powerful Windows machine for STILL cheaper than these refurbished things. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Man, I would NEVER pay more for a gorgeous display, a keyboard that doesn't feel like a cheap toy, Firewire, the ability to drive to external monitors, a DVD burner that is not a flimsy tray, a case not made out of plastic, backlit keys, a trackpad that actually works simply and correctly, a power adapter with a connector that won't break after nine months, a screen hinge that won't break after six months, Bluetooth, and speakers that don't fire at my wrists. You Mac owners are fucking nuts, just go buy a headache for $600 instead!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
God, not this again!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Man, I would NEVER pay more for a gorgeous display, a keyboard that doesn't feel like a cheap toy, Firewire, the ability to drive to external monitors, a DVD burner that is not a flimsy tray, a case not made out of plastic, backlit keys, a trackpad that actually works simply and correctly, a power adapter with a connector that won't break after nine months, a screen hinge that won't break after six months, Bluetooth, and speakers that don't fire at my wrists. You Mac owners are fucking nuts, just go buy a headache for $600 instead!
We need a sticky thread that says the following:

Macs are overpriced. Underneath the skin, they are just a PC, with the same hardware as every other Windows-based laptop. You are paying more for the name. OS X can be made to run on a regular laptop or desktop. You guys buying Macs are trendy followers who have been ripped off.
that way we can avoid clusterfucking these threads which really have nothing to do with the "Mac vs. PC" with the same old bullshit that comes up every fucking time.

Better yet, Chris should put another option underneath avatars; main guitar, main rig, main PC. That way we know whether or not to expect a pointless diatribe from any given person each time someone starts a Mac thread about something. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
:(

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I'd almost consider picking up a Mac for recording and stuff, but I'm not doing anything serious, and I just want to mess around with recording so it's not worth it to spend that much on a toy for me to play with.

On a side note, I have like 3 friends that run Macs, and any time they ask me to do any computer related work I get pissed off within 30 seconds of sitting down on it because I'm really unfamiliar with it :lol:

Also, are Macs easy to "acquire" software for?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Also, are Macs easy to "acquire" software for?
It's out there, it's just not as common as Windows machines. This was a major consideration for my friend :lol:

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
It sure is.

I would have thought that in the year 2009 we would have learned by now that "HEY!!! Macs are more expensive than PC's!! Did ya know?"
We have! We're just not done bitching about it yet :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
BMW vs Ford is dead-on. I'm tired of my Flip-Over-Read-Directions operating systems. I'm ready to shell out for the BMW, and drive away in style :yesway:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Here is how you install applications on a Mac:

You just drag it into the applications folder. Uninstalling is also as easy as dragging it to the trash can. Amazing how things work when you don't have a registry or dependencies to worry about.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Since I don't own a BMW or a Ford, these to me are just overpriced. :lol: I can get a more powerful Windows machine for STILL cheaper than these refurbished things. :lol:
Yeah, but not everybody wants to go to the scrapyard to assemble their car. ;)

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Here is how you install applications on a Mac:

You just drag it into the applications folder. Uninstalling is also as easy as dragging it to the trash can. Amazing how things work when you don't have a registry or dependencies to worry about.
I've not "worried" about the registry since about 2002 :squint:

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
The more parts there are, the more parts there are to break :lol:
Don't listen to anyone else. Just get what you want. A lot of the heated PC vs. Mac debate ignores the fact that some people (and I'm assuming you fall into this category) want UNIX underpinnings in an OS, both for familiarity and for the large amount of free software (free as in free beer and freedom) software available.

As an avowed Linux zealot who hadn't used Windows for about 10 years, I recently switched my work desktop platform to Mac OS X and have been happy with the result. I still use Linux for high-performance computing, though.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Don't listen to anyone else. Just get what you want. A lot of the heated PC vs. Mac debate ignores the fact that some people (and I'm assuming you fall into this category) want UNIX underpinnings in an OS, both for familiarity and for the large amount of free software (free as in free beer and freedom) software available.
While this is a valid point, I think most people have been arguing this from a hardware/cost perspective.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
John, I'm definitely set on a Mac :yesway:

Dave, my favorite point (forget who brought it up) was that to build a PC to comparable specs, it'll cost just as much as the Mac up front :lol:

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
While this is a valid point, I think most people have been arguing this from a hardware/cost perspective.
That's my point. Those same people harp on comparing performance figures, pretending like the OS is unimportant. For many people, though, Mac OS X is *the* selling point. Especially people who want a basic UNIX-based OS on their laptop, are tired of tweaking their distro so it behaves like a laptop should, and are willing to pay a price premium for the convenience.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

noodles said:
giannifive said:
This arguement is, to me, invalidated by the superior OS that comes with a Mac. My three year old iMac is still one of the fastest computers I've used/owned and it's not because of the hardware, it's because the software utilizes that hardware more effectively. And guess what? The Snow Leopard upgrade made it even faster. You should not have to buy a new computer/upgrade to install a new version of an OS, that is simply inefficient.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts