Metal Guitarist Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
So, it wasn't my BS or MS in Physics, nor my home-use of Linux, nor my mostly non-fiction library, nor my career in engineering that made me a nerd. It was my choice to go Mac? :lol:

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
I am an avid PC fan. I've also just bought a mac.

1) Their hardware is expensive, and the cost for their upgrades is quite frankly ridiculous. In fact, paying for their memory when you can get the same for 30% of the cost through crucial is just one of the reasons I just don't like their business practices on that front.

2) They are very nice, OSX is very cool, as a media PC for recording I like them as I love Logic. Being able to run Logic 9 again is something that has made my day.

3) If you don't need portable, don't want to spend much, then just get a mac mini and turbocharge it. basically, put in a 7200rpm drive, or buy yourself a solid state one for the OS, and add external stoorage via the firewire800 port. That and add in 4Gb of ram which you buy of crucial. It'll take about 20 minutes to do yourself (used a 500Gb 7200rpm drive). it's what I did, and it runs really really well, I am very happy with it. Sure, it's not the latest and greatest processor, but last night I quite happily had s2.0 (1Gb kit), logic9, and a few choirs and pianos running, all of which take up substantial amounts of ram.

4) You can boot camp windows onto it, so you still get to use both OS's. Not a bad deal really, better than buying 2 computers.

having said all that, i'd not have paid for a mac pro, the price is fairly ridiculous. If I earnt a lot and money wasn't an issue, then 'd get one, and take the mac mini and set it up as a processing node for logic (distributed computing on recording software FTW)

But, i am still going to get a standalone PC once I am working again, and still have a dell laptop. The PC I built myself 4 years ago still runs well, records without glitches and doesn't crash. It's happily running XP sp3, and all is well. Windows 7 should be a good one as well. That and there will always be more software for PC. Plus, I wouldn't program on a mac quite frankly, either windows or linux. As much as people with macs hate it, the majority of people still run windows because it is cheap.

To me Macintosh really need to pull their fingers out, release a well priced mac that competes with PC's before they can stake any claim. They, to me, seem to be happy being percieved as a lifestyle option rather than a serious computer manufacturer.

Also, remember, apple is getting into hot water regarding it's license agreement for it's OS, there's, i believe, a case coming against them, and, if I am honest, quite rightly so.

All in all, they make good machines, a nice OS, but, remember, a lot of PC's people buy are dogshit. A well built PC, well maintained running linux is just as good. Plus, I'd rather upgrade and fix my own hardware, not for everyone, but hey.

So, to summarise, I like my new mac mini, but only after having upgraded it for less than apples next model up costs and to a much higher spec. If I had paid their prices for what I have, I'd not be very pleased at all.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
That was some of the advice Darren/Jeff gave me earlier... to get the bottom spec MacBookPro, then get the parts to upgrade it aftermarket.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I am an avid PC fan. I've also just bought a mac.

1) Their hardware is expensive, and the cost for their upgrades is quite frankly ridiculous. In fact, paying for their memory when you can get the same for 30% of the cost through crucial is just one of the reasons I just don't like their business practices on that front.

2) They are very nice, OSX is very cool, as a media PC for recording I like them as I love Logic. Being able to run Logic 9 again is something that has made my day.

3) If you don't need portable, don't want to spend much, then just get a mac mini and turbocharge it. basically, put in a 7200rpm drive, or buy yourself a solid state one for the OS, and add external stoorage via the firewire800 port. That and add in 4Gb of ram which you buy of crucial. It'll take about 20 minutes to do yourself (used a 500Gb 7200rpm drive). it's what I did, and it runs really really well, I am very happy with it. Sure, it's not the latest and greatest processor, but last night I quite happily had s2.0 (1Gb kit), logic9, and a few choirs and pianos running, all of which take up substantial amounts of ram.

4) You can boot camp windows onto it, so you still get to use both OS's. Not a bad deal really, better than buying 2 computers.

having said all that, i'd not have paid for a mac pro, the price is fairly ridiculous. If I earnt a lot and money wasn't an issue, then 'd get one, and take the mac mini and set it up as a processing node for logic (distributed computing on recording software FTW)

But, i am still going to get a standalone PC once I am working again, and still have a dell laptop. The PC I built myself 4 years ago still runs well, records without glitches and doesn't crash. It's happily running XP sp3, and all is well. Windows 7 should be a good one as well. That and there will always be more software for PC. Plus, I wouldn't program on a mac quite frankly, either windows or linux. As much as people with macs hate it, the majority of people still run windows because it is cheap.

To me Macintosh really need to pull their fingers out, release a well priced mac that competes with PC's before they can stake any claim. They, to me, seem to be happy being percieved as a lifestyle option rather than a serious computer manufacturer.

Also, remember, apple is getting into hot water regarding it's license agreement for it's OS, there's, i believe, a case coming against them, and, if I am honest, quite rightly so.

All in all, they make good machines, a nice OS, but, remember, a lot of PC's people buy are dogshit. A well built PC, well maintained running linux is just as good. Plus, I'd rather upgrade and fix my own hardware, not for everyone, but hey.

So, to summarise, I like my new mac mini, but only after having upgraded it for less than apples next model up costs and to a much higher spec. If I had paid their prices for what I have, I'd not be very pleased at all.
Great post.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Ahh yes, the straw :agreed:

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
If that's your opinion, then i would argue that you've never looked at a Mac up close, never opened one up or taken one apart. The thoughtfulness of design and attention to detail in the construction is incredible.

Ever looked at the back or underside of your typical Windows laptop? Apple probably spends as much time designing the back and underside of their machines as other companies spend on the entire thing.
I hope the newer ones are better than the iBook G4 whose hard drive I replaced over the weekend.

Thousands of screws, an obnoxious little aluminum tray that bends if you look at it (and stops the case from closing properly if it gets bent in the wrong spots... and by 'in the wrong spots' I mean 'anywhere at all because fuck you'), the hard drive quite literally at the bottom of the case (where it could easily have been put in a removable tray so that I didn't have to take 3/4 of the thing apart... but wasn't, because fuck you), the amazing ability to generate matter from absolutely nothing (yes, I checked every fucking hole that could have a screw in it - and I was raised Catholic, so I don't miss those - and still wound up with two extras)... no. No biscuit for you, iBook. When you can't have a more intelligent plan than "Affix everything to everything else, and put the shit that *nobody* will have much reason to replace in easily-reached spots so the hard drive - the kind of thing that goes out on *portable fucking computers* on occasion - can be placed firmly in the least accessible place in the entire laptop!" you get to sit in the corner and think twice about ever wasting four hours of my life like that again.

I haven't taken apart a Macbook, but the last time my girlfriend had an issue with her hard drive it had to be shipped off to fuck-knows-where to be disassembled and sent back...

(...and by the time they told us there wasn't even an option for data recovery I asked for the thing back and they said "No, it'll be somewhat of a hassle, all the forms have to be done again" before closing the door on us. Okay, no photos of any significance or helpful documents or anything like that on there, thanks for making the choice for me because your convenience outweighs making up for your fuckups to give me twenty minutes with a Flash drive for backups...)

Jeff

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I hope the newer ones are better than the iBook G4 whose hard drive I replaced over the weekend.

Thousands of screws, an obnoxious little aluminum tray that bends if you look at it (and stops the case from closing properly if it gets bent in the wrong spots... and by 'in the wrong spots' I mean 'anywhere at all because fuck you'), the hard drive quite literally at the bottom of the case (where it could easily have been put in a removable tray so that I didn't have to take 3/4 of the thing apart... but wasn't, because fuck you), the amazing ability to generate matter from absolutely nothing (yes, I checked every fucking hole that could have a screw in it - and I was raised Catholic, so I don't miss those - and still wound up with two extras)... no. No biscuit for you, iBook. When you can't have a more intelligent plan than "Affix everything to everything else, and put the shit that *nobody* will have much reason to replace in easily-reached spots so the hard drive - the kind of thing that goes out on *portable fucking computers* on occasion - can be placed firmly in the least accessible place in the entire laptop!" you get to sit in the corner and think twice about ever wasting four hours of my life like that again.

I haven't taken apart a Macbook, but the last time my girlfriend had an issue with her hard drive it had to be shipped off to fuck-knows-where to be disassembled and sent back...

(...and by the time they told us there wasn't even an option for data recovery I asked for the thing back and they said "No, it'll be somewhat of a hassle, all the forms have to be done again" before closing the door on us. Okay, no photos of any significance or helpful documents or anything like that on there, thanks for making the choice for me because your convenience outweighs making up for your fuckups to give me twenty minutes with a Flash drive for backups...)

Jeff
The current MBP 13" and 15" models have 10 screws (I think, I'd have to flip it over to be sure of the count) 3 of which are one very obvious size, the other all the same size.

Remove the single piece tray. There's your RAM, there's your hard drive. Two screws for the drive. Pull cable. Reverse, and you're done. Easier than any Thinkpad, HP, or Dell I've worked on in the past 5 years.

Last gen MacBook and MacBook Pro (Oct. 2008) were even easier; pull the lever, unscrew two screws for the HD.

Older Macs? Yeah, it's a bitch. But if you follow iFixit's instructions, it's more tedious than actually being difficult. I replaced the drive in a 12" PB, and while it was time consuming, it wasn't hard. anyone with a screw driver and something between their ears can do it.

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
That's good to hear. My Thinkpad (2001 T30 - made by IBM), however, has the hard drive accessible through the back. It may be old and a bit worn, but that thing is what I'd consider a well-thought-out, sturdy design... it looks like it's there to take a beating, not just sit around and be shiny and curvy and artsy.

Jeff

61 - 72 of 72 Posts