Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of my favorite albums ever, which I fully expect to get lambasted by most of you for. That said:

Eleven minutes in, this is rough as hell. Kurt looks, and sounds, high as shit, the band seems to be still trying to pull it together, and you feel like the wheels could fall off at any moment. Listening to this, had I not known the album that came out of the actual concert so well, I'd have expected this to be a disaster.

EDIT - and yet, as this goes on... Moments of "The Man Who Sold The World" are pretty rough, but moments you feel like something's coming together, and they just might pull it off...

Reactions: Ola Englund

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

:dgaf:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Definitely one of my favourite albums. Nirvana are a top 5 band for me. They're the band that really made me dive into music when I was about 12.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
AIC's unplugged show was fucking tragic too, due to Layne's being high as fuck on whatever-the-fuck. They had to restart at least one song that I know of cause he forgot the lyrics :ugh:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
This is really an amazing album. The internal struggles of the band really show through in the performance. The raw emotion displayed in these already resonant songs is breathtaking, it both tragic and triumphant at the same time. It's poignant that the stage was designed to look like a funeral, given the events that would unfold soon after. The set list choice was clearly a bold move, as was performing with the Meat Puppets. I also think there's never been a finer rendition of In the Pines ever committed to tape.

Truly, a ground breaking album. :2c:

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
This is really an amazing album. The internal struggles of the band really show through in the performance. The raw emotion displayed in these already resonant songs is breathtaking, it both tragic and triumphant at the same time. It's poignant that the stage was designed to look like a funeral, given the events that would unfold soon after. The set list choice was clearly a bold move, as was performing with the Meat Puppets. I also think there's never been a finer rendition of In the Pines ever committed to tape.

/
:goodtune:

Also,

:dgaf:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I suspect, but am not 100% sure, that you're kidding kere. :lol:

I will say though that Nirvana was a band I didn't take seriously until, at a pasta party before a cross country ski meet in seventh or eighth grade, one of my teammates popped this album on to play "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" for my dad, thinking he'd enjoy it. We were BOTH blown over, and had it not been for that performance I don't think I'd have ever picked up the guitar.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
EDIT - and yet, as this goes on... Moments of "The Man Who Sold The World" are pretty rough, but moments you feel like something's coming together, and they just might pull it off...
You actually watched 22 minutes of Nirvana rehearsing? :lol:

4,429 Posts
Nirvana was fucking awesome when I was 12. I've never liked Kurt's voice and thought it was kind of annoying, but at the end of the day while they are no longer a favorite I still really like their music.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I will say though that Nirvana was a band I didn't take seriously until, at a pasta party before a cross country ski meet in seventh or eighth grade, one of my teammates popped this album on to play "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" for my dad, thinking he'd enjoy it. We were BOTH blown over, and had it not been for that performance I don't think I'd have ever picked up the guitar.
For me, it was at a birthday party, one late summer evening in '98. The insipid Eurodance music pulsed through the porch and surrounding neighborhood, advertising the exact age group of the attendees. I was 11 years old. Two of my friends sitting across me were fidgeting with a basket full of CDs, one of them digging up an album with a distinct blue cover, a malicious grin on his face.

"What's that?"
"Nirvana."

I suspect what was about to ensue is the reason why I have any recollection of this particular night at all. The droning disco beat in the air fizzled out- the sensation much like taking a piss after a prolonged waiting period- and on came "Smells Like Teen Spirit". The sheer force of the riff- the band kicking in and the gritty vocals- hit me like the the music had been injected directly into my veins. I was mesmerized. It went on until a parent came over and abruptly shut it off midway through the first chorus. Some of the girls' sensibilities had apparently been offended.

The party, the other kids, the cake- none of that mattered any longer. I walked home that night, my mind fully occupied by the magnitude of what had transpired.

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
AIC's unplugged show was fucking tragic too, due to Layne's being high as fuck on whatever-the-fuck. They had to restart at least one song that I know of cause he forgot the lyrics :ugh:
Umm..That would be Heroin my friend. :smoking:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts